Author Topic: Stone points: wide or narrow?  (Read 27176 times)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: Stone points: wide or narrow?
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2006, 08:01:31 pm »
   Jaime,The noise is what impressed me too.Man, it sounded like I hit that hog with a baseball bat,I'm half deaf.I didn't make some of those points.The man teaching me,Claude VanOrder made the pretty ones.I shoot the ugly ones hoping to keep his freebee's.He says ,"here try this one ,don't put it in a case,I want to see how it cuts'.But I shoot mine and don't tell him .There too pretty. :D
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2006, 10:13:49 pm »
SteveO the only problem with your theory about twice as wide half the penetration is that the fat shaft behind the point provides more friction than any point.  Just punching a hole isn't enough or we would all use field points. You have to cut something vital. The wider point has twice the chance of cutting a major artery.  As for the old bird points, I think they were shooting a lot more small game than large so it wasn't near the issue.  Personally I like about 1" wide by 2 1/2" long. I put one clear through an antelope with only the fletchings sticking out.  He only went 40 yards before collapsing.   However we hunt with a lot heavier bow than the natives did.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2006, 10:30:45 pm »
  Justin,That's not exactly right about little points .The kill site in New Mexico,I might be wrong about the state, recorded more than 150 points mixed in with Buffalo bones.and they were all small triaguler points like Hillbilly described.Small points on very small diameter fore shafts that are detachable will penetrate deep.
     I've made cane arrows with long foreshafts. the foreshafts being very long and thin.The penetration is amazing.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2006, 11:16:02 pm »
Mullet, Im sure they killed a lot of big game.  I may be missled but I understood that they put quite a few arrows into a buff to bring it down. Im just guessing but I would wager that the atlatl and lances were used to bring down the larger critters to.  Regardless they were better hunters than me. ;D Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2006, 12:23:03 am »
Hey MULLET-If your from around here and you havent been around in a while-you would not believe the growth! Positively disgusting! i hope they brought the flag with them when leaving lord knows  needed to do so.I dread goin south every time i do-as you can guess i try not to.Yes-sir sure is wet down here-not like the dry country y'all live in !Hey thanks for invite--havent been up there in a while youre only a couple hours away--so maybe i will come by to say just say hello.  I LOVE to hunt in the wet -ESPECIALLY the rain. e mail  address is easy goin @adelphia .net-drop a line when you can.--bob

Offline armymedic.2

« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2007, 10:10:37 pm »
my dad shot a 180 lb hog in florida last year.  i had my 60 lb. recurve with cedar arrows and a 125 2 blade broadhead.  just tpo see we hung it up and i shot it in the plate at 20 yards.  i did not go through the plate at all that thing is tough.  then i shot behind the plate and got a comlete pass thru.  you need to shoot behind the plate.  if you hit it with anything that is not super high speed, and it is a mature hog, you are in trouble.  my dads compound went through both shoulder plates with half the arrow hangin out exit.  just food for thought.  you want to avoid that plate at all costs.
Some say freedom is free, well i have to disagree-
some say freedom is won, by the barrel of a gun.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2007, 10:34:34 pm »
  If you are going to kill a big boar hog you have to shoot him through the shield,unless you are good at head shots or long nasty blood trailing.The ones I recovered on the AlexaCarrie hunt I was shooting a 70# bow shooting 188 fps and Wendsel broadheads.I made a complete passthrough on the boar hog through the shield and a complete passthrough on the sow through the neck,and the first shot went through both hips,breaking the hip,one leg and cutting the femoral artery.I lost 3 hogs that I didn't make passthrough shots on.Stone points made a heck of a blood trail till they broke the arrow and the fat closed the hole.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline armymedic.2

« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2007, 11:27:35 pm »
my opion is that you need to take quartering away shots or frontal.  the shield proved impernetrable to my martin mamba, and she hits pretty hard.  i would not take the chance on trying to pass through something that is specifically named after its stopping power.  i would suggest waiting dor a good shot angle.  broadside is not always best.  nice shots on the hogs you harv ested.  i hope to have some of your good fortune next year.  when i was in florida the hogs mainly moved at night because of a hot spell in january.
Some say freedom is free, well i have to disagree-
some say freedom is won, by the barrel of a gun.