Author Topic: dimensions for Yew hunting bow? (new pics added)  (Read 9821 times)

Offline Bow Nut

Re: dimensions for Yew hunting bow? (pics added)
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2011, 03:21:10 pm »
yea that is what I was thinking but I have yet to make a caracter bow so it will be a first I might set it aside and work on some of my caracter osage first since i have quite a few of thouse and only one of these just to be on the safe side

blackhawk

« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2011, 03:24:27 pm »
Yup. Lay a narrow deep round D belly bendy handle to the other side and.....poof...those knots will be gone. Nice piece of wood. Should make a nice one with a couple beauty bumps.

Offline Bow Nut

« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2011, 04:22:42 pm »
just counted the rings and got 33 per inch.  this stuff is light weight as can be I would imagine it makes for a fast shooting bow.

Offline Bow Nut

Re: dimensions for Yew hunting bow? (new pics added)
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2011, 01:01:45 pm »
ok so I get it roughed out took every ones advice it is looking good but towards one end there is quite a bit of deflex in the limb  I think when i get it ready for the long string I will try to correct it with heat and maybe flip the tips just a little.  it is very strait has some nice character humps and thouse knots are almost gone I am sure with the finished product they wont be there at all.  I am thinking taking the handle in on both sides and having it start to bend in the las few inches of draw.  dont really care much for bendy handle bows but I think this staves needs some extra forgiveness.  does dry heat work well with yew for minor bends like that or shall I steam her.  any in-site on this will be greatly appreciated as I have always wanted to make a bow from a yew stave and dont want to mess it up as I only have one chance.

thanks

for some reason it wont let me post the other pics huh well maybe you can see enough in thouse to be able to answer my questions.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 01:06:24 pm by Bow Nut »

Offline Bow Nut

« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2011, 01:35:43 pm »
ok I have steam the tips and tliped them and got it as strait as I can for now and got all the deflex out of it as well.  still need to heat and straiten a little more.  It did not steam bend as well as osage or bend as easily but it came out good.  it has been sitting about a week after the steaming I need to use some dry heat to get the tips inline they are about 1" off from center with the handle and then I will let it sit another week or so and begin my tillering.  I am thinking just a rounded Hump for a handle non bendying but small and short.  Any suggestions on my idea?

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2011, 02:05:02 pm »
Thats looking nice so far!
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2011, 02:45:56 pm »
good looking piece of yew. I like bend in the handle bows better , jusy my preference.  keep posting pics, everybody like 'em. :)
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2011, 04:31:05 pm »
Looks real good.  Your yew sure looks different (more yew-like) than mine.  Anxious to see yours bending.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Bow Nut

« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2011, 04:40:10 pm »
give me about a week or so and she will be on the tillering stick.  got some other nice bows to post in the mean time though