Author Topic: dimensions for Yew hunting bow? (new pics added)  (Read 9701 times)

Offline Bow Nut

dimensions for Yew hunting bow? (new pics added)
« on: July 05, 2011, 06:57:25 pm »
I have a 63 3/4 x 2 x 2 piece of yew on the way.  I have never worked yew out of a stave.  it is claimed to have 30 or more rings per inch.  I want to make a heavy weight hunting bow out of it.  what are some good dimensions for this wood with a handle and arrow shelf?
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 12:52:59 pm by Bow Nut »

Offline bcbull

Re: deminsions for Yew hunting bow?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2011, 07:13:07 pm »
sounds like a good piece wood  you know if ya have the sap on it or what it ya do id make it with what ya got and make it like a osage flat bow maybe flip the tips or recurve em should make 55-65 easey if it s good wood  brock

Offline Bow Nut

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2011, 07:15:32 pm »
yea the sap wood is supposed to be a 1/4" thick.  so a narrow bow would be fine or should I go a bit wider?

Offline Keenan

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2011, 10:37:57 pm »
What is your draw length?  1/4 sap is perfect. Leave the sap wood on and feather in any rough spots on the back then shoot for about 1.5" wide at the fade for your finished bow. About 1 3/8" mid limb and then taper the last 12" to about 1/2" at the tips.  Thickness about 3/4" at the fades tapering gradually towards the tips. Leave the last 12" about 1/2" thick. I would do the rest in the handle wrap apposed to a cut in shelf.

Offline Bow Nut

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2011, 12:03:25 am »
sounds like some good demintions I think I will flip the tips as well I like a shelf because it gets me closer to center shot and seems more acurrate with all the bows I have built.  but we will see when I get to working on it.

Offline bcbull

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2011, 01:43:26 am »
right on kennan where i was headed also haha sound s good me i dont like the shelf myself tho brock

Offline juniper junkie

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2011, 01:42:43 pm »
the shelf will depend on if you are having the bow bend through the handle some, which you may want to if you have a draw length of 28"  you can taper in the handle area and add a leather shelf, just leave enough meat the the area not to make it weak. I do shelfs on some of my bows, only about 1/4" then fold a piece of leather to make it wider, or add a sliver of wood or golf tee. I really like a 64" bow for my hunting bow so yours should be good. the dimensions keenan gave are great for a shorter bow, just leave the belly a little bit radiused, helps reduces the amount of set.

Offline Bow Nut

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2011, 01:57:22 pm »
sounds good I was thinking of a stiff handle offcourse but i have never used this wood will it hold up with a stiff handle?

blackhawk

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2011, 02:06:49 pm »
Dude...your gonna love working,scraping,rasping yew. I ve worked with Osage,hickory,hophornbeam,american hornbeam,downy serviceberry,elm,black locust,and eastern red cedar. And yew is by far my favorite to work with;I just roughed a stave down from my new stash (so I have a stave to work sooner than later) and established the bows profile and elb D cross section and early floor tiller in no time with hand tools only. If it shoots and feels as good as Osage then it might top my list over Osage because of its workability.  ;D

Good advice above from some yew guys

Offline jpitts

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2011, 02:21:15 pm »
That is soooo cool...can't wait to see it.
I've gotta get one of those soon.....
Jimmy / Dallas, Georgia

Offline Bow Nut

Re: dimensions for Yew hunting bow? (pics added)
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2011, 02:45:01 pm »
just got the stave in today thought by showing some pics it might help the decision making process on dimensions.  there are 2 large knots.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2011, 02:53:50 pm »
This is cool!  Looks like a nice piece of wood, though those knots would make me sweat a bit.  I'm looking forward to what you come up with.  Good luck.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline jpitts

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2011, 02:58:09 pm »
Those knots look interesting. Can't wait to see what you do with it....
Jimmy / Dallas, Georgia

Offline Bow Nut

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2011, 03:15:42 pm »
This is cool!  Looks like a nice piece of wood, though those knots would make me sweat a bit.  I'm looking forward to what you come up with.  Good luck.

George
  yea Im sweating lol they are pretty large

Offline Keenan

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2011, 03:19:52 pm »
 Looks great! Those knots will not even be in the bow and should be no problem. You will just have the character bump left and most of the knott will be taken out.