Author Topic: 1/8 Glass for Knapping?  (Read 1912 times)

Offline bushman

1/8 Glass for Knapping?
« on: July 09, 2011, 04:40:48 pm »
Has anyone ever tried to use 1/8 glass for knapping? I need to make a few show points and I can’t get any nice coloured rock, the thickest coloured glass I can get is 1/8. Will it work? Thanks
Bushman

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
Re: 1/8 Glass for Knapping?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2011, 08:36:54 pm »
I've passed up a whole bunch of 1/8 for the thicker stuff knowing that i'd most likely break it. But hey, if that's all you can get your hands on go for it ;).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline bushman

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2011, 11:55:48 pm »
I've passed up a whole bunch of 1/8 for the thicker stuff knowing that i'd most likely break it. But hey, if that's all you can get your hands on go for it ;).
I will give it a shot and let you know how many points I break before I turf it.
Bushman

Offline bubby

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2011, 02:21:27 am »
I've made some outta 1/8", just gotta be kinda delicate and try to only go half way across with a flake, and side notches are better than basel,

this is how the basel notches allways seem to end up :(, Bub
« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 02:27:04 am by bubby »
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2011, 09:45:10 pm »
 I've got some stained glass that is thinner than that. It will work, just constantly dress your flaker and abrade the edge so you don't have to apply much pressure to run a flake.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2011, 01:20:53 am »
That absolutely makes sense. Thanks Mr. Eddie.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline bushman

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2011, 03:40:50 am »
Well gave that 1/8 stained glass a try the other night, I would get the flat surface from one side completely removed then flip it over and try the other side and snap it in half, ever time. Guess I wasn’t supporting it right. It is nice glass though and would make a good hunting point or knife if it was thicker. It seems to be tougher then all the other glass I have tried, if the flaker scraps the point when I take a flake off it is still sharp, all the other glass I have tried the edge crumples on it if that happens. Even if you little abrade it, its still sharp enough to cut skin.
Bushman