Author Topic: where do I find knappers.  (Read 1883 times)

Offline triggerfinger

where do I find knappers.
« on: July 20, 2011, 03:28:04 pm »
So i think im to the point where there is no substitute for instruction.  So Im going to look for someone in my vicinity who can show me what im doing.  So where would i look for other knappers.  I am sure this isnt the only place.  Is there another set of forums or possibly a looney bin where there might be people who dont frequent this forum.  I ask cause I dont think there is anyone on here near enough to Valdosta to give me instruction.
I have nothing witty to say.......

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
Re: where do I find knappers.
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011, 04:34:08 pm »
i thnk billy berger is down there. check on paleoplanet too
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 11:36:17 pm »
 Billy is up near the Tenn. line in north Ga. If you make a road trip, I'm four hours south in Lakeland, Fl and Claude VanOrder is about two hours south of you in Ocala, Fl. One day siting with that man is worth months of experiance. And he doesn't mind campers.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline triggerfinger

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2011, 11:44:14 pm »
I tried to get into a gin show in ocala this weekend....didnt wor, but tried.  Do you have that mans contact info, two hours is a short ride for good instruction.

Offline triggerfinger

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2011, 11:49:56 pm »
and if you mean it I might make that 4hr trip as well.  Id be glad to trade you a pig hunt for some instruction.  I have access to some pig covered country

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2011, 12:13:48 am »
Claude's phone number is 863-607-9827, the invitation is always open here if you don't mind staying in my camper or sleeping on a couch if you come down for the weekend. I've always got something to throw on the grill, something to drink and good collards. I'll be north of you hunting hogs the last weekend of the month in Abbeville.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline triggerfinger

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2011, 02:23:32 am »
Thats a very generous offer and I may take you up on it at some point, except I wouldnt be that big of an imposition.  Im very used to the days inn, I practically live there.

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2011, 03:01:04 am »
Are u kidding me Id come all the way from upstate NY to sleep in the swamp by ur house Eddie!!!! LOL...Im thinking about it anyway I have friends in Brooksville FL I may need to eveacuate the north and hit my southern roots!!!

Russ
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

"Ancient Art"  by R. Hill

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2011, 09:39:43 am »
Russ, Brooksville is about an hour NW of me, pretty, hilly, country with some good chert near the limerock quarries.  One of the largest and oldest Archery Shoots will be there Labor Day. Come on down and I live smack in the middle of town, but, not far from the swamp.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline clintw864

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2011, 11:52:13 pm »
New to knapping at age 78. anyone in the area of Spartanburg, SC who could give me some help. Clint
Clint Wilson

Offline knap_123

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2011, 01:24:12 am »
heres a link that will hook you up.  theres alot of good knappers in albany.  just log in and ask ?s  for local knapperes near you.  http://forum.gon.com/forumdisplay.php?f=69