Author Topic: Primitive Lathe?  (Read 9214 times)

Offline Young Bowyer

• What is this?
Primitive Lathe?
« on: July 11, 2011, 05:52:08 pm »
Has anyone seen one of these? Looking for plans, links, anything,

Thanks

P.S No motors or fancy metal parts please  ;D
"A man can be destroyed, but not defeated."
The old man from Ernest Hemingway's The Old Man And The Sea

Online Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Primitive Lathe?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 06:16:52 pm »
Google "tradle lathe" or "spring pole lathe" and see what you come up with. Both can be pretty  primitive.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Young Bowyer

• What is this?
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 07:15:15 pm »
If I want the spring pole to last, id better sinew back it eh?  O:)

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2011, 01:17:53 am »
Hickory selfpole!  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2011, 01:49:11 am »
I checked out that "spring pole lathe". very interesting! Does look as though it could feel primitive after awhile ::).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Rick Wallace

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2011, 03:27:19 am »
Google WOOD WRIGHTS SHOP There used to be a guy on PBS that used all human powerd tools, it was out of North Cacalackey  ;)  Great show ;D    Roy Underhill,,thats the man!
U.S.ARMY '86-'91  East Milton Fl.   Dont take yourself to seriously,,No one else does

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2011, 03:34:54 am »
Rick, that's where I learned about spring pole lathes and treadle lathes. I've been watching Roy on Saturday afternoon for many years. He did a show on building a selfbow one time. I only cought the tail end of it.

Offline Rick Wallace

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2011, 02:55:57 pm »
We used to watch him here but our  PBS station stopped carrying his show a few years ago,ticked me off,,that guy is good!!  I really enjoyed his show
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 03:01:48 pm by Rick Wallace »
U.S.ARMY '86-'91  East Milton Fl.   Dont take yourself to seriously,,No one else does

Offline Stretch

• I'm a custom furniture maker/wannabe bowyer.
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2011, 09:56:11 pm »
We used to watch him here but our  PBS station stopped carrying his show a few years ago,ticked me off,,that guy is good!!  I really enjoyed his show

You can watch his show online.  Here's a link:

http://www.pbs.org/woodwrightsshop/video/3000/index.html
Mark
Lindale, TX

Offline Young Bowyer

• What is this?
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2011, 10:22:47 pm »
Thanks guys, this helped alot. Just got back from camping, couldve got a couple red squirrels if my arrows had came in earlier  :'(... Anyways thanks again everybody.  8)

Offline stickbender

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2011, 02:56:27 am »

The lathe has been around since at least 700 BC, as there is an Etruscan bowl from that time period that bears the marks typical of lathe tools.  It could also have been in use as far back as 1000 BC.  The lathe has been called the oldest of the machine tools.  A good book " by Alden A Watson" , that illustrates the bow drill, and it being used, by various means, is " Country Furniture " It shows the Egyptians, and a simple bow lathe, with two people using it, and then some treadle bow lathes, and a huge wheel lathe, that was turned by human, or water power.  Stretch, thanks for the link for Roy Underhill's Woodright's shop.  I used to watch him every chance I got.  He always had some neat stuff, and tools. 8)

Wayne

Offline Barrage

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2011, 09:14:02 pm »
Check out this guy, Robin Wood.  He uses a foot powered lathe to turn out absolutely gorgeous bowls.

http://www.robin-wood.co.uk/
Travis

Offline Diligence

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2011, 12:37:16 am »
Might be a bit late, but I've spoken via email with Robin Wood and he was extremely helpful with my questions in the past.

Cheers,
J
"Always do your best and to everyone be kind and good" - Ernst Hjalmer Selin (1906-2000)....my grandfather's words of advice he wanted me to tell my children.

Gregor

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2011, 03:15:33 am »
My wife and I went to Morocco last year. We saw some of these guys with bow lathes. Wonderfull to watch. Have a look at this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnv0DAR_gWA

Greg
New Zealand

Offline BowJunkie

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2011, 03:24:06 am »
Wow Talk about some fancy foot work.
That guy makes me nervous, thought he was gonna take a finger off at the beginning.
Johnny
in Texas