Author Topic: Dyeing Arrows?  (Read 4660 times)

Offline Young Bowyer

• What is this?
Dyeing Arrows?
« on: July 11, 2011, 05:59:58 pm »
How do you guys dye your arrows? Planning on dyeing goose primaries for my winter target arrows. I was thinking of boiling coloured tissue paper then boiling the feathers with them? I have no idea, but thats how she did her ash baskets.

Thanks alot, Chris
"A man can be destroyed, but not defeated."
The old man from Ernest Hemingway's The Old Man And The Sea

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Dyeing Arrows?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 06:13:21 pm »
Are you wanting to dye your arrows or your feathers?  You can use Rit dye mixed with alcohol(instead of water) and it does a good job on arrow shafts and would probably do good on feathers too.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 01:15:25 am by Pat B »
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Young Bowyer

• What is this?
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 07:16:43 pm »
Just feathers, need a good way to distinguish the cock feather,

Thanks, i'll have to try that

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2011, 08:10:29 pm »
Look in some of the past pages.  It hasn't been two weeks since someone put a how-to dye fletching with kool-aid.  SadieJane's link from today has some kool-aid dyed feathers.  Good luck!! shouldn't be too hard to figure out.
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline sadiejane

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2011, 08:20:10 pm »
this is the "recipe" that i found on the leatherwall. probably something similar here too, or maybe the same fella.
works great tho kool-aid offers limited colors compared to rit or others. someone mentioned this recipe was originally offered on a fly tying forum...so they outta last and deal with water well.

For those of you who process your own feathers for fletching, here is an easy method for adding color to them. I found a How-To on the net about dying feathers with Kool-Aid and decided to try it. So far I have made green and orange and the color transfer is very good. I have soaked them with water to see if the colors would run, and they are colorfast. Here is the link: Dying Feathers 101 from www.ronnlucassr.com, a site for flyfishermen. You will need several packets of Kool-Aid in the color you like, and three bowls. Prepare one bowl for washing/degreasing. In this bowl put water and Joy liquid soap. Agitate the feathers in this and let them set while you prepare the other two bowls. The next bowl contains water and a dash of white vinegar with a couple of drops of Joy soap. The last bowl is a microwave safe, 8" x 8" dish 1/3 full of water with a splash of vinegar and a few drops of Joy soap. Into this bowl dissolve two packets of KoolAid. Transfer the feathers out of the degreasing bowl and into the water/vinegar bowl and let stand for 5 minutes. Transfer the feathers to the Kool-Aid dye in the microwave safe dish. Put the dish in the microwave and nuke it for 2 minutes, let it stand for two minutes, then nuke it again for two minutes. Remove it from the microwave and set it on a pot holder. Examine the feather. If it is too light, let it stand longer. The Kool-Aid acts as an acid dye, and it does not matter how much water you use. The dye in the Kool-Aid will transfer from the water into the feather. The water will actually get clearer as the feather absorbs it. If you cannot get a dark enough shade, remove the feathers, add another packet of Kool-Aid, and repeat the microwaving process. Once the desired shade is acquired, rinse well and dry the feathers.
wild women don't get the blues

Offline Matt G.

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2011, 08:21:17 pm »
Didn't have any luck dying Canada's geese feathers.
Keeping the Faith!
Matt

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2011, 08:26:03 pm »
What about bleaching a feather?  Is that possible?  I tried using the strong peroxide that I use on skulls, but it didn't really work.  Anybody know how to do that?
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2011, 10:51:39 pm »
  I use to make lots of arrow for people. I liked to use all (turkey, greese) but some people have to see the cock feather. So what I did on the ones that did'nt want a totally fifferent color. AFTER I BUT THEM ON ALL THE SAME ON THE COCK FEATHER. I'd take a perment white marker and out line just the edge (END) of the cock feather. Never liked a different color feather.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Matt G.

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2011, 12:35:11 am »
If you bleach a feather it will break down the feather. Eat it in a sence. Doesn't work. If you want a white feather get a white feather. Only thing I've found that works.
Keeping the Faith!
Matt

Offline Young Bowyer

• What is this?
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2011, 02:45:15 pm »
Thanks guys, now I gotta do is get a goose! Maybe my cousin wont hunt drunk this year?  O:)

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2011, 03:39:14 pm »
  Geese feathers are'nt hard to get. They molt in JUNE just find a couple ponds and collect your own. I have ponds I  ckeck each year. I also use snow geese, geese feathers have a natural oil in them that totally water proffs them. Also hit a turkey farm once a year to collect  those white feathers. I've also gotten those hyber turkey feathers a couple times.. These are really nice but hard to get. Never dyed any
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING