Author Topic: What type foam material?  (Read 2468 times)

Offline artcher1

What type foam material?
« on: July 13, 2011, 02:28:01 pm »
A friend of mine is looking for information on what type of two-part foam mix to use in the making of his own targets. Some of you may remember the raised 3-d square targets that, I believe either Delta or Mckenzie use to sell. Used them myself for several years and loved them! Well, that's what he has his mind set on so I would appreciate any help you guys could give us. Thanks....Art

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: What type foam material?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011, 07:02:38 pm »
 Art, back a long, long time ago when I was fibreglassing refrigerator trucks we used a Urethane foam we mixed in two parts and then sprayed. You could make it dense or soft depending on how you mixed it. I'm not sure if this is the same foam you are looking for, but I'm shooting a 5'x3'x3' block of it.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline artcher1

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2011, 07:13:05 pm »
I think this is going to be a lot of trial and error for my buddy Eddie. Sounds like what you have might work. Thanks......Art

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2011, 07:30:52 pm »
They use spray expanding foam as house insulation these days. Maybe he can contact an insulation company and see if they will fill up a cardboard box with foam for him.
  The guys that sell those big foam blocks for archery targets at lots of the shoots i believe they use foam that is used for carpet backing. At least I think they used to. They might make their own now.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline artcher1

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2011, 08:23:13 pm »
I remember those guys had targets of different densities Pat. I tried 'em all and the lighter density held up the best. Come to think of it, all three of their targets did have the colors that you normally see in padding. Steve said he could make a raised 3-d deer mold, just need the right ingredients to pour in it.  Thanks.......Art