Author Topic: Red Oak Board Bow Cook Off  (Read 84310 times)

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
Re: Red Oak Board Bow Cook Off
« Reply #45 on: July 14, 2011, 05:01:55 pm »
longevity is a thing that alas we cannot test too easily.  As everyone in the contest should know, the bows are to be donated to help raise money for the winner's archery club, a local boyscouts group, or any other organization the winner sees fit.  So everyone should make a concientous effort to build the best bow they possibly can because some of these bows will eventually end up in the hands of newbs... and if I know one thing it's this... if the first time someone picks up a wooden bow and draws it to their cheek and it breaks, I bet you that would be the last wooden bow they ever pick up... ever.  The purpose of this friendly contest is to promote trad/primitive archery not get people to shy away from it so please everyone try and make a durable bow for these folks, okay?  The purpose of this contest is not to build a 300fps screamer that will explode after 3 arrows, more of a balance between durability and speed... a hunt-worthy bow I guess is what I am trying to say.  :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Marz5

• Better bend than break.
« Reply #46 on: July 14, 2011, 05:37:33 pm »
I might join this if I can find some red oak boards to play with >:D normally all I can find is white oak

--Mark R.
Am fear nach glčidh na h-airm san t-sěth, cha bhi iad aige 'n ŕm a' chogaidh.
(He that keeps not his arms in time of peace will have none in time of war.)
--Scottish Proverb

blackhawk

« Reply #47 on: July 14, 2011, 05:48:34 pm »
Lane to add on to testing durability is that ill weigh each bow and calculate its projected mass. If it comes in more than two ozs lighter than it should be then that tells me that its durability might be jeopardized. Also the judges and I have enough gathered knowledge to be able to tell if a bow is underbuilt by its dimensions and if its not very dense wood,and if the builder built a correct dimension for red oak boards and his design. Also if a bows tiller is off it will be judged lower on durability. Or if the bow pulls and draws unbalanced in the hand. Or if I shoot it and it shakes the fillings out of my molars. All these are indications of an inferior bow to one that has the less of all these factors.

Make sense? Ill pm ya after this short rant.

Peshikthe: pm sent

Offline Michael C.

« Reply #48 on: July 14, 2011, 06:06:03 pm »
Just saw this and if I thought I could make that deadline I would say I was in for sure, but my wife has been getting on to me for putting other things on hold already while I work on stuff for things on here. I really just need to learn how not to waste time sleeping and that would solve all my not enough time problems.
"Friendship makes prosperity more shining and lessens adversity by dividing and sharing it."

Cicero

Offline Josh

« Reply #49 on: July 14, 2011, 06:19:28 pm »
Just saw this and if I thought I could make that deadline I would say I was in for sure, but my wife has been getting on to me for putting other things on hold already while I work on stuff for things on here. I really just need to learn how not to waste time sleeping and that would solve all my not enough time problems.

Waste time sleeping?  LOL.  ;D
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

blackhawk

« Reply #50 on: July 14, 2011, 06:32:00 pm »
Michael...most pros can knock a RO bow in a day easy. Not that I can but not too much longer if I really apply myself. Im gonna take me sweet time since I think there's plenty of time to get one done in two months.

Well guys..picked up the winning board today...lol :laugh:

Its a 1x3 ten foot long board to start with. Its hard to tell as you can only see the grain half way down. But its a subtle straight S front profile grain. Of yeah...a slight character RO board bow. Just follow that subtle S grain baby and lay the string where it'll track down the handle. Wish I could've gotten a better pic.  It doesn't show it to well and its deceiving cus that's ten foot long. Fat heavy rings though.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 06:35:10 pm by blackhawk »

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #51 on: July 14, 2011, 07:24:39 pm »
"longevity is a thing that alas we cannot test too easily.  As everyone in the contest should know, the bows are to be donated to help raise money for the winner's archery club, a local boyscouts group, or any other organization the winner sees fit.  So everyone should make a concientous effort to build the best bow they possibly can because some of these bows will eventually end up in the hands of newbs... and if I know one thing it's this... if the first time someone picks up a wooden bow and draws it to their cheek and it breaks, I bet you that would be the last wooden bow they ever pick up... ever.  The purpose of this friendly contest is to promote trad/primitive archery not get people to shy away from it so please everyone try and make a durable bow for these folks, okay?  The purpose of this contest is not to build a 300fps screamer that will explode after 3 arrows, more of a balance between durability and speed... a hunt-worthy bow I guess is what I am trying to say."

Aww, come on, now your taking all the fun out of it,  >:D >:D >:D. As I am sure you are directing this towards my previous post, I will just reply. I really wouldn't purposely design a bow that would brake, in fact I would most definitely want to do the opposite. I disagree with you (respectfully) that you have to settle for sub par with unbacked 45# - 50#  @ 28" red oak being the only limit. I believe that very good bowyers frequent this forum, and I am sure one of them can figure out a way to have their cake and eat it too.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #52 on: July 14, 2011, 07:30:13 pm »
I picked up my Red Oak board today!  Hooray! 

Blackhawk:  There were several posts to this challenge thread.  Did you (we) settle on the final list of rules/parameters?  If so, can you list them in one post for all to see.  Just don't want anyone to get DQ'd for something unnoticed.

Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline RyanY

« Reply #53 on: July 14, 2011, 07:32:05 pm »
Toomanyknots, You have some good ideas but there are some problems. Pyramid limbs might take too much near handle set resulting in a lot of tip deflection. A reflexes Molly design will not only put a lot of strain on the inner limbs but will also be laterally unstable. In order to keep stability manageable, levers will be kept too wide and are usually made to deep for optimal speed which the extra energy storage will not be able to overcome. Also, often times with the Molly design the levers are far too massive. A slight transition to very narrow tips is more optimal and easier to tiller than the sharp transition of the Molly. A long flat bow with very narrow tips and a maybe a bit of reflex will be what I go for. Also I think you may be making a false correlation between strain and speed. A well designed fast bow should be no more stressed than a slow one.

Offline johnston

« Reply #54 on: July 14, 2011, 07:38:32 pm »
Bow is finished fellers. Took about 15 minutes after all it is a "board " bow.

Yep, just gotta shoot her in some. Do I get any points for finishing first? Huh? Do I?

Lane

UNBRACED

BRACED

FULL DRAW

blackhawk

« Reply #55 on: July 14, 2011, 07:51:06 pm »
Hahahaha :laugh:  LMAO. Good one Lane. Nice try.

Matt. The rules are all in my first original post and are now edited in stone.

Alright. So far I have 8 guys for sure not including me. And 4 in question. Id like to see at least a for sure dozen.  Come on guys. Step up to the plate. How bout some of you ole timers who have been doing this for 30+ years,or are you scared some of us young cocky guns are gonna smoke ya :laugh:

Offline Josh

« Reply #56 on: July 14, 2011, 07:58:02 pm »
"longevity is a thing that alas we cannot test too easily.  As everyone in the contest should know, the bows are to be donated to help raise money for the winner's archery club, a local boyscouts group, or any other organization the winner sees fit.  So everyone should make a concientous effort to build the best bow they possibly can because some of these bows will eventually end up in the hands of newbs... and if I know one thing it's this... if the first time someone picks up a wooden bow and draws it to their cheek and it breaks, I bet you that would be the last wooden bow they ever pick up... ever.  The purpose of this friendly contest is to promote trad/primitive archery not get people to shy away from it so please everyone try and make a durable bow for these folks, okay?  The purpose of this contest is not to build a 300fps screamer that will explode after 3 arrows, more of a balance between durability and speed... a hunt-worthy bow I guess is what I am trying to say."

Aww, come on, now your taking all the fun out of it,  >:D >:D >:D. As I am sure you are directing this towards my previous post, I will just reply. I really wouldn't purposely design a bow that would brake, in fact I would most definitely want to do the opposite. I disagree with you (respectfully) that you have to settle for sub par with unbacked 45# - 50#  @ 28" red oak being the only limit. I believe that very good bowyers frequent this forum, and I am sure one of them can figure out a way to have their cake and eat it too.

no that was  not a response directed to your previous post more of a general rule everyone needs to follow.    Flight bows built mainly to break speed records rarely survive a few shots when shot with a 5 gpp arrow and I just wanted to make it clear that these bows are supposed to be built to be durable enough to be shot at least two hunting seasons as they will probably fall into the hands of a newbie.   So rule of thumb build a bow that will be a good balance between durability and speed.  I never said anything about having to build a "sub par" bow.  You sir are putting words in my mouth that I did not say.

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #57 on: July 14, 2011, 09:11:31 pm »
"Toomanyknots, You have some good ideas but there are some problems. Pyramid limbs might take too much near handle set resulting in a lot of tip deflection."

Pyramid limbs are widest at the handle and therefor should take no set at all near handle, all set taken typically is outer limb. If you are getting set near the handle with pyramid bows, maybe you are having the same problem I have been having, which is due to just gluing a riser on a consistent thickness board. The fix is a 1 1/2" thickness fade right off the handle like it was a normal american longbow, at least 1 1/2" right off the handle, to ensure this does not happen as there is alot of stress right off the handle. With a thickness fade there should be no way set be should occurring right off the handle.

"A reflexed Molly design will not only put a lot of strain on the inner limbs but will also be laterally unstable."

The limbs should store as much energy as design and material will allow. Stability is one of the responsibilities of the craftsman (that being alignment) and has been proven to be more than possible with reflexed non working outer limbs billions of times the world over. 

"I think you may be making a false correlation between strain and speed."

I think you are taking the "energy stored" I am referring to and calling it "strain".  ::) The more energy stored in the limbs at brace = the more early draw weight. Strain, if you mean physical strain on the belly, compression wise, can be dealt with by:

Making limbs wider and thinner to get same weight but less belly stress (with a pyramid design I don't think this is that bad of an option)
Making bow's dimensions overall longer
Heat treating belly
Selecting the most dense compression strong piece of red oak? lol
Making levers longer, so as to make the working limbs work less when the bow is drawn as I was talkin bout in my previous post...
...thats all I can think of right now.

As for stability, I am sure you have never shot a grozer csaba or nomad bow, as per your account every bow that they sell would be unstable. As well as every hunnic/magyar bow every made. As well as many reflex deflexes. I would think that stability has everything to do with alignment and should be no big issue when construction is taken seriously. 

"In order to keep stability manageable, levers will be kept too wide and are usually made to deep for optimal speed which the extra energy storage will not be able to overcome."

I don't understand, they are deep to be strong so as not to bend, strength is in thickness not width, so siyahs/levers can be less mass than a working limb by being deep and thin, the deep thickness allowing enough strength to remove mass on the sides on the levers/siyahs. Imagine trying to make the lever rigid and non working by adding width instead of thickness. It would take alot more mass. This is what makes mollegebets and holmegards so much faster as they have less mass on the outer limbs.

"no that was  not a response directed to your previous post more of a general rule everyone needs to follow.    Flight bows built mainly to break speed records rarely survive a few shots when shot with a 5 gpp arrow and I just wanted to make it clear that these bows are supposed to be built to be durable enough to be shot at least two hunting seasons as they will probably fall into the hands of a newbie.   So rule of thumb build a bow that will be a good balance between durability and speed.  I never said anything about having to build a "sub par" bow.  You sir are putting words in my mouth that I did not say."

Totally didn't mean to, sorry if it came out that way.  Point taken. Forgive me if I get a little worked up about bow makin...  ;D

@ Johnson: lol.

"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline RyanY

« Reply #58 on: July 14, 2011, 09:45:45 pm »
Toomanyknots, With regards to taking near handle set with a pyramid bow I was simply saying it can be a problem with the design sine there's so much more bending near the handle.

With regards to inner limbs being less stressed with levers, that is incorrect. This is why they need to be made so much wider, in order to
Have enough wood to do the work without taking more set.

When talking about recurved stiff tips it is indeed possible to do but stability is an unavoidable issue. For optimal speed the limbs will have to be narrowed considerably losing Lateral stability. It has been done plenty of times with, for example, Chinese composite bows. But I guarantee that the sayas on those bows are far too massive for optimal speed but need to be so in order to be stable. Good speed in those bows comes from the higher energy storage and is only enough to surpass the excess mass in the finest made bows of those styles.

I don't want to discourage you from doing your design and I may very well be wrong. Simply discussing what I believe to be how such a design would play out. I'll be going for something a bit more simple. :)

blackhawk

« Reply #59 on: July 14, 2011, 09:58:20 pm »
Dang boys. Lots of good discussion going on here. Woo-wee its getting hot in this thread >:D

Keep it going. As for me I got lay out lines to draw and don't have time to sit around the coffee table to talk :laugh: