Author Topic: TEMPERING  (Read 2691 times)

Offline crooketarrow

TEMPERING
« on: July 13, 2011, 06:47:15 pm »
  I had a freind come by with a friend. He saw some HAZZEL shoots I was working on. He aske if I was going to temper them. I said I was he says he tempers all of his in the oven. Has on dose anyone do this. I don't think it can be done like this.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline aznboi3644

Re: TEMPERING
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2011, 12:20:14 am »
heat is heat. 

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2011, 12:58:42 am »
My oven isn't big enough but I would if I could.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2011, 02:24:01 pm »
  I maybe wrong and likely I am. But I read and was told that tempering wood has to be done by lots of surface heat ( flame). I know you can temper metal in a oven. I temper knives like this for years but metal cells and wood cells are totally different.
  Yes aznboi heat is heat but how it's aplyed makes a big difference.
  PAT nose your post mean you've did it like this.
  I'm going to try it out just wanted some imput.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2011, 10:25:50 pm »
I've never tried it but I read about a guy that tempered his boo backing strips in his friends pizza oven.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2011, 04:15:03 pm »
theres a build a long on paleoplanet where someone shows how to make flight arrows out of bamboo and uses his oven to temper the boo.

The material was encased in aluminum foil.

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Southeast Mo. Redneck!!
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2011, 05:53:24 pm »
I've also got a question or two on this subject while your talking about tempering. I'm going to make a set of cane arrows with my own trade points and turkey feathers to hunt with come this fall, do you all temper the river cane shafting as well? If so, how do you accomplish that? I use a heat gun to straighten, is that also what could be used to temper and would you mind explaining the process please.

I'm assuming that you temper "Before" securing the point and fletching........correct?

I'm a noob to making primitive arrows, only thing I've worked with other than carbon or aluminum is some cedar shafts and that was fairly simple unlike the river cane I'm working with now.

Thanks and I hope I didn't intrude upon your topic Crooketarrow? I figured I would tie in my questions with yours instead of starting a new topic about the same basic question of tempering.

Thanks!
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2011, 08:43:22 pm »
Semo, After I've straightened the cane I will start at one end and heat it, rotating as you work out the shaft. Sometimes I go for color(scorching) but not always. I do want the cane to get pretty hot though. Work your way out the shaft and when done lay it flat until it has cooled and rehydrated.
You can still heat and straighten if needed at a later date.    Heat straightening alone might be tempering also.

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Southeast Mo. Redneck!!
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2011, 07:26:49 pm »
Thanks Pat. Hope I didn't run everybody else off from asking a question in another guy's post?
Sorry if I intruded too much.
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2011, 11:49:30 am »
  Not a problem at all.