Author Topic: More Trail Cam Pics  (Read 6231 times)

Offline gstoneberg

Re: More Trail Cam Pics
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2011, 03:11:24 pm »
Gstoneberg, the blue feeder is a interesting. It looks like the bottom has been bent in to allow the deer to feed off the side of the barrel. I like that idea as a gravity feeder. It gets it off the ground. Gives me some ideas!

Those protein feeders work pretty well, the property owner built them.  I thought the sharp edges where the sides are dented in would bother the deer but they don't.  But, there are 2 areas in this design I would change if I needed more.  First, there's too much angle on the legs so we have to run guy wires between them to keep the barrel from collapsing.  Have to be careful as that's a lot of weight which is why he made them wide.  And second, the rain protectors need to go all the way around the barrel.  In fact, the other one we have has a 4' square galvanized sheet on top of it reinforced with square steel tubing.  It works much better and doesn't get in the way of the bucks' antlers.  We'll only feed protein another month until the bucks shed their velvet.

I am excited, but that 11pt is a ghost.  Only once in the 3 years I've seen him on trail cam has he ever appeared in daylight. That was last year right before bow season, and I was waiting at that feeder opening day.  We never got him on trail cam again, I wondered if he was still alive but he is and showed up at every single feeder in the last 2 weeks (in the middle of the night).

mmmmm...  not quite "meals on wheels"...

Snacks with tracks..?   :laugh:

LOL, yup those are my favorite size, but I prefer them in this state... ;D

George
St Paul, TX