Author Topic: Osage Static Recurve Build-Along - FINISHED PICS!  (Read 25132 times)

Offline 4est Trekker

Osage Static Recurve Build-Along - FINISHED PICS!
« on: July 13, 2011, 10:44:14 pm »
Hey, all.  Here's a little follow-along on my latest project, an osage static recurve.  My target is 50# @28". (Actually, 50# and some change at 28" and some change, but who's counting?) Here's the stave I chose.  I cut it a couple of years ago from a nice little honey-hole in southwest Iowa.

I decided on nearly straight taper for the sides, and a very slight, even taper for the belly.  I measure this out by dividing each limb into equal parts, marking the width/thickness at each point, and then connecting the dots.  Sorry, I didn't take any pictures of that process.

I like to tiller the bow out to about 24" before I heat any reflex into it or recurve the tips.  Here a couple pictures of the bow at brace and drawn to 22" on the tree:

At this point I heated in about 2" of reflex and straightened the stave out a bit.  Again, sorry...no pictures of that part either.

Next I recurved the tips. I tapered the last 7" of each tip, then glued up a series of laminations to complete the curve.  Here's a picture of the jigs I used for that process, complete with some prebent maple backing strips.  The jigs are identical, as they were held together with double sided tape while shaping.  With two forms, I can prebend the laminations 4 at a time (2 on each jig) using dry heat.  I also prebend the tips of the bow.   

End of round 1...  :)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 02:12:07 am by 4est Trekker »
"Walk softly, and carry a bent stick."

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, giving thanks to God the Father through him."  Col. 3:17

Offline 4est Trekker

Re: Osage Static Recurve Build-Along
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011, 10:46:02 pm »
After the long process of preparing the rosewood/osage lams and the limb tips, here's the result.  Kind of wacky, but it'll get dressed up in the end with some nice laminated brush knocks a la Nels Grumley.  I used Urac 185 for all the laminations.

After a little tweaking of both the alignment (using dry heat, but avoiding the laminations!) and the tiller, here's where I'm at.  The bottom (i.e stronger) limb is on the right.  It's pulling about 45#@24", so I'm in the ballpark to hit my target weight/draw.  It's currently 63" ntn.  Now comes the agonizing last four inches!      :(     If all goes according to plan, I'll dress the bow out with brush nocks and a nice set of rattler skins. 

Here's a shot of the bow at rest just after shooting about 50 arrows through it a short draw.

End of round 2...more to come!

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, giving thanks to God the Father through him."  Col. 3:17

Offline n2huntn

• jeff_smith13@hotmail.com ROLL TIDE !
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2011, 11:36:40 pm »
Looking good,always enjoy your work.
Genesis 27: 3

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2011, 12:19:59 am »
I love those laminated recurves.  Looking great!

George
St Paul, TX

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2011, 01:36:51 am »
sweet bow 4est. ggod job on the laminations
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2011, 03:26:02 am »
Looking forward to the rest of the process, awsome job so far ;)
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline druid

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2011, 10:54:43 am »
Excellent buildalong!!!!!!!

Offline 4est Trekker

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2011, 04:40:25 am »
I've got the bow tillered back out to 27" and have been shooting it quite a bit.  It's pulling right at 50# and flat-launches an arrow.  I got the handle roughed in as shown below.  I would have liked to have done a more Hill-like grip with a slight dish, but the stave simply didn't allow due to a suspect area I wanted to avoid when laying out the fades.  That area turned out to be nothing, but I avoided it nonethless.  As such, my handle area is shorter than usual.  However, it turned out to be a good thing because it gave me a touch more working limb.

After about two hours of tedious work, I got both limb tips laminated with alternations of osage and rosewood in preparation for the brush nocks.  This process is slightly more enjoyable than watching paint dry.    ::)  However, it'll be worth it in the end.  For those that may be wondering, "Doesn't that extra mass at the tips create handshock and slow the arrow down?" Theoretically, perhaps.  But I've never noticed a difference.  I love the way they shoot, look, and function (i.e. keeping brush from snagging between the limb and the string).  If it's good enough for Nels Grumley and his cohorts, it's good enough for me.

End of round 3... 
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 02:38:46 am by 4est Trekker »

Offline swtchbckshtr

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2011, 01:26:44 pm »
very nice work, looks real nice...

Offline Bow Nut

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2011, 03:04:25 pm »
very cool nice looking bows good job

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2011, 03:25:45 pm »
That is absolutely my favorite handle style of all time period. I love the way it looks and feels in the hand. Wicked wicked nocks.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline 4est Trekker

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2011, 02:37:00 am »
Well, I'm up to roughly 35 hours on this bow now and it's coming along nicely. It's tillered and fairly shot in to 28", holding its profile nicely, and is sporting some new nocks. 

Because I'm a weakling, I generally have my cousin shoot in a bow while I observe from the side. He's always quite eager to help!  Anyway, here's a full draw shot at 28".  It's  a little awkward, as he was shooting from his knees in his basement because of the 115 degree heat index outside!  BLAH!

Here's what the profile looked like immediately after shooting and unstringing:

Here's a few shots of the brush nocks, which are set up with double nocks for stringing.  I've got some tweaking to do on them yet, but they're getting there:

End of round 4...getting closer!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2011, 03:18:30 am »
Curt, you build a beautiful, well tillered bow but it's your eye for detail that really sets them off! I love this style bow for historical and practical value and you definately do it justice!  8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Gordon

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2011, 03:25:44 am »
Wow, very nice!
Gordon

blackhawk

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2011, 09:17:49 am »
Good idea getting someone else to shoot it in,as you said you can stand off to the side and see the whole shot process. Plus it looks like ya get to spend some time with a fam member. Double bonus.

Are you gonna call it bumble bee. The lam curves looks like the coloration of a bee. I wouldn't wanna get stung with that one. Excellent bow n bend. Perfectly executed.  ;)