Author Topic: steaming arrows  (Read 7207 times)

Offline John K

steaming arrows
« on: June 22, 2007, 12:33:54 pm »
Has anybody tried steaming there shafts to straiten them or would this bring to much moisture back into the shaft  ??? ???
The only way to fail is to never start !

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: steaming arrows
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2007, 02:42:27 pm »
I'm sure steam would work fine but you would have to dry them again and they would probably warp with the moisture.   A little oil and our cook stove is what I use.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

jamie

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2007, 02:47:07 pm »
like pat said it would work but warp later. plus its such a small amount of material heat alone will make it bend easy . peace

Offline david w.

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2007, 05:04:38 pm »
i made a fluflu arrow and the shaft is straight but not perfectly straight will that have much effect on the arrow flight?
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2007, 05:12:29 pm »
                                                      As long as tip and nock are lined up, dont matter what happens between them. ;D..bob

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2007, 05:26:12 pm »
David, Shoot them and see how they do....or do you have to finish your bow first?  Especially with fluflus a little crook shouldn't matter. And as Bob said, if the nock and point line up, the middle will follow.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline david w.

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2007, 09:14:05 pm »
thanks for hte help. sorry for changing the topic
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Offline NorthernArcher

• Alberta Traditional Bowhunters Association
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2007, 11:50:49 pm »
I would not recommend steaming arrow shafts.  It has not turned out well when I have tried it.  With split timber shafts, the moisture swells the wood and more or less ruins the shaft.  Wish shoot shafts the effect is not quite as dramatic, but it still does damage.  Grease and heat work really well.  In fact, the grease isn't even necessary for repairing small bends.  Heat is all you need.  Though, if you are straightening cane/boo shafts, use grease!
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children."