Author Topic: OVEN  (Read 3216 times)

Offline crooketarrow

OVEN
« on: July 16, 2011, 10:53:50 am »
  I've been makeing 2 dozzen HAZZEL shoots into arrows. There really straight but REALLY ,REALLY SOLF. So I tryed tempering one in the over along with 2 dogwood shoots also.
  BAM I could'nt believe HOW WELL THEY TEMPERED. It went from supper solf to supper tuff I've never seen such a transformation. So tuff I had a hard time straightening it again. I put them in the oven at 400 for about 10 or so mins.
  Just to I could smell the wood  good but did'nt bust into flames. It may just be the HAZZEL I'm not sure yet. I wish I'd started this 15 years ago. I've got to work out some heats and times. Because it seamed to make my dog wood to brittle I ended up breaking both restraighting the times differently to long for dog wood.
  Hazzel maybe my wood of choise I don't know yet if they'll stay straight.  I don't know dogwoods really takes abuse,but I'm inpressed.

DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline andy thomas

Re: OVEN
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2011, 12:04:23 pm »
wife wasn't home was she ;D

cool post up some pics when you get them done.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2011, 12:19:35 pm »
After you heat treat or temper any wood, bows or arrows, you need to let the wood rehydrate before stressing it.   On the red osier shafts I've worked with I tempered them and that really improved their strength and made them less likely to warp.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2011, 03:28:42 pm »
  Yea thanks Pat I know I let them out side on a work bench all day teasterday to soke up the relivitive humitly. Maybe it was'nt long enough for the dogwood.

She learned a long time ago to except anything from me. I had to get a small freezer for out side when she found all the tarsal glads and  bags of ratters and copper head skins I had stash.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2011, 08:19:19 pm »
Interesting!
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2011, 09:26:34 pm »
I must hae a really small oven. No matter how I try I can only get enough room for 26" shafts :(
I will say of the Lord,"He is my refuge and my fortress;
  My God, in Him I will trust."  Psalm 91:2

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2011, 12:30:03 am »
We used to tamper ash like that all the time when I was a kid. The natives used to temper the point end of lots of hardwood shoots so they could shoot them as pointy sticks.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2011, 11:43:54 am »
  I only shoot 26" but make my arrows 27" If I put them I corner to corner I can lay 5 out flat.