Author Topic: sinew backing backset...  (Read 2690 times)

Offline nowhereman

sinew backing backset...
« on: July 17, 2011, 06:32:06 pm »
Hello,

I've made a short flat bow of well cured red oak about 50"x1.25", and want to apply sinew backing, was thinking of stringing the bow 3 - 4 inches backwards before applying to get the desired extra's. Thing is the bow's back is an unworked shallow crown and i dont want to touch it, and, crucially its almost tiller complete so does anyone recommend stringing it the other way round at this late stage in the process? Bending it the opposite way at present seems a very bad idea...

Regards

v

Offline toomanyknots

Re: sinew backing backset...
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2011, 06:46:17 pm »
You can take a couple gallons of water and tied em to the ends as the bow dryed with the bow upside down on something so it pulls it a bit into reflex... You could fill em up just halfway or something if you don't want to stress the belly too much if thats what you mean...
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2011, 09:16:25 pm »
The sinew will pull the bow into some relfex as it cures. You could always clamp the center down and lift the tips up a few inches, then sinew and let it cure as is. DONT string your bow backwards!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2011, 12:38:19 am »
  He's right the sinew will add the reflex. I'd wait and but the sinew on then finish tillering. THIS WAY YOU CAN GET THE DESIRED WEIGHT TO YOUR LENTH. If you tiller then add sinew you still have to retiller to get the weight you want. SINEW WILL HAD  DRAW WEIGHT.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline nowhereman

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2011, 11:48:49 am »
Hey thanks for that all -

crooketarrow - so i'll sinew then tiller...

pearl drums - think i may just let the sinew do its work, maybe that will reflex the bow enough...did you have a bad experience backwards stringing then?

toomanyknots - thanks for the tip, my concern was that if I strung the bow backwards it would damage the back, chrysal or fret  or just plain snap (although its oak and i havent broken any oak bow i've made to date).

cheers dudes

v

blackhawk

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2011, 12:10:15 pm »
Long string tiller your stave to the point of where you wood brace the bow(but don't actually string it to brace) before incurring any set in the bow. Then you'll have nice even reflex when you reverse brace it to lay the sinew down. You can reverse brace to sinew back a bow. I've done it before up to 6"+ reverse braced then sinewed while brace,and left it for a month before pulling the string off. There's a photo in one of the TBB's of a guy who reverse braced a bow 9",then sinewed it. And after the bow was tillered and shot hundreds of times it still retained 5" of reflex immediately after unstringing. Go for it.  ;)

Offline Eric Garza

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2011, 08:50:48 pm »
You could string it backwards. I do that all the time, and I make pretty short bows (haven't made one as long as 50 inches in a while). As long as the bow bends through the handle and the tiller is even enough that there aren't any hinges, stringing it backwards won't hurt a thing. You can adjust the string length to decide how much reflex to put into it (probably not too much, at that nock-2-nock length) and lay the sinew down.