Author Topic: Monster osage tree finished....final stave count  (Read 57551 times)

Offline cracker

Re: Harvesting a monster osage tree Day 1 (pic. heavy)
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2011, 09:41:44 am »
Thats a heck of a tree the pic with both of you in it looks like some of the old logging pics I've seen from the early 1900s. Ron
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2011, 10:23:45 am »
You know how to eat an elephant?  One bite at a time. Tons a work, but the reward will be sweet!
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2011, 10:29:29 am »
I can't even think of how many belly splits your gonna get. I would actually be happy that it's already started to split it's self!
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2011, 10:39:16 am »
That hurts me just to think about.  Every big old osage tree I've ever cut has been dead on the inside.  Whether you get belly splits will depend on what the weather and ants have done there.  Wonderful tree for bow wood though, you've chosen well.   Getting it split small enough to get up out of that ditch is gonna be a lot of work.  Be careful working so hard in this heat.  Congratulations.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2011, 10:47:54 am »
Dang Clint! Who says this stuff is easy? You are thee man for tackling that monster.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline luke the drifter

« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2011, 10:48:57 am »
Lord God Almighty, what a find.  if i knew where you lived, that would be worth the trip to see and even to help out.  You definitely have been living right in terms of bowmaking.  i am even proud to have seen the picture you posted.  good luck to you.

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Bowhunters of South Carolina
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2011, 01:27:11 pm »
Oh my I was just sweating looking at the pictures....that is a monster.  Glad you didn't get hurt on that steep hill.  Should have wood for a long time now the fun of splitting and removing bark and sapwood.  Whew
Happy hunting to all!
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive council member
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate member

Reevesville, SC     James V. Bailey II

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2011, 02:07:01 pm »
I'm up for a guess the stave count contest.  Does everyone want to guess now?  If we have a tie, I will draw a name out of a hat or something.  I will mail the winner a stave.  I might let it dry out a little first to save $ on shipping. 

The trees size is what took it over.  The ground is very loose in the woods around here.  All of the roots are intact on it, they just pulled out of the ground  It was still living, it had some second growth sprouts coming off of it.  Most of our osage trees around here slowly fall over once they get to big.  It seems the trunks get so heavy the roots can't support it.

Now the fun of splitting it starts.  I don't think it will be too bad.  I am hoping to quarter each section up and pull them out with his quad.  I should get a lot of belly splits.  The dead center is still 10-12" deep.  Day 2 will have to wait for Friday.  Working 12 hour nights with an hour drive each way doesn't leave much time for anything else.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2011, 02:11:21 pm »
"Now the fun of splitting it starts.  I don't think it will be too bad."

>:D >:D >:D Ya, you'll have lots of fun.  :laugh:

"Working 12 hour nights with an hour drive each way doesn't leave much time for anything else."

And taking down big osage trees in your spare time? Your a machine man.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2011, 02:57:19 pm »
I can't wait to go back to work so I can rest for a couple of days.  Before starting on the osage tree yesterday, I spent 3 hours walking a river bank looking for some knappable stone.  This primitive stuff is hard work ;D

Offline SA

« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2011, 03:08:11 pm »
my guess is 39 staves :)
Shawn Acker

Offline cracker

« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2011, 04:11:52 pm »
I'm gonna say 43 I know sometingh you don't.
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline Will H

« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2011, 05:48:00 pm »
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say 50. Can't wait to see how it goes! Good luck and drink lots of water.  ;)
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2011, 06:11:23 pm »
Some of my plans got cancelled today and I had a little free time.  I could either take a nap before going in to work tonight or start spitting.  Guess which one I chose ;D 

No help and no quad today, just me and my splitting tools.  I started on the biggest piece.  It was leaning upright on the creek bank.  I got it almost split in half and then I got the bright idea to push it over into the creek bed so I could get to the other side to finish it up.  Of course it landed wrong and I couldn't get to where I needed on it.  I moved on to the next section.  I started driving the wedge into it the mighty beast and it spit it back out at me.  It shot up at least 2'.  I caught it in mid air and shoved it back into the log and tried again.  This time it started to split.  Once it started, it went almost to the other end.  I put one more wedge into it and popped it the rest of the way.

I started back up at the top and put the wedge into a natural split.  My plan is to wedge out pieces just like cutting a slice of pie.  The dead center is really helping.  A short time later and I had the first chunk out.  And then another.  I drank the last of my 2 liters of water and started splitting again.  Except while I was taking my water break my hammer somehow gained 5 lbs and become hard to swing.  I completely ran out of steam.  After an hour and a half, this is what I got done.  It doesn't look like much, but it is a good start.  I am glad to see that there is no insect damage and almost no twist at all in it.

So far this is what I have for the stave count guessing contest:

SA - 39
Cracker - 43
Blackhawk - 48
Will H - 50

Offline RidgeRunner

Re: Harvesting a monster osage tree Day 2 (pic. heavy)
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2011, 07:10:38 pm »
Never busted a Osage log that big.
Busted an 18" Osage log a few years back.  About worked me and Cowboy to death.
Our log did not bust as clean as yours is busting.  Man that looks good.
Seal the ends of the splits very soon arter they are busted out.

I am going to guess 65 staves from the three logs that you have cut now.

Keep sweating you will get it done.

David
David Key / N.W. Alabama