Author Topic: Monster osage tree finished....final stave count  (Read 57610 times)

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Monster osage tree finished....final stave count
« Reply #210 on: January 31, 2012, 01:50:28 am »
Keenan I Can't help wondering how you were only one off, you remind me of those prodigies that you can dump a box of paper clips in front of and they will tell you how many paper clips there are as they hit the ground

He was off by 5.  He guessed 114 and I ended up with 109.  I didn't count the billets in the contest.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #211 on: January 31, 2012, 03:05:44 am »
that is a truck load of wood...i cant wait to see some bows as well....i am sure you and keenan will do each other well..john

Offline jpitts

« Reply #212 on: January 31, 2012, 04:08:01 am »
WOW.....
I'm amazed at all you were able to get.
Hard work but well worth it.
Congrats
Jimmy / Dallas, Georgia

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #213 on: January 31, 2012, 07:40:32 am »
That is awesome,looks like you are hooked up on Osage for a while. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #214 on: January 31, 2012, 12:58:00 pm »
  I'll bet you can't build your way through them all. You be looking for a different wood for sure. I would thats the most I've ever heard of coming from one tree. In 82 I cut one that hat 61 staves from the logs  I didn't even bother with the limbs or billets. I thought that was a lot. I traded a few and have 4 or 5 left. I also know a guy that use to take staves to DENTEN HILL he had a tree he got 83 staves from from the logs.
  He has'nt went there for 15 years but still has a building full. My stash since no one around here builds selfbows.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #215 on: January 31, 2012, 01:26:48 pm »
Just saw the final count Clint. Congrats and big time props for getting em debarked and properly processed. That really is the tough part. The thing I "DO" like about debarking is it sure increases your core strength if you have a  good sized stack to work through. Low impact resistance training is the best for building your core muscles.
  I am hoping to make it to the classic for the first time this year. I have been going to Ojam near Perkins, Ok for the last 4 yrs and I think I will add the classic to the agenda this year.It seems to me the one event I do not want to miss. Look forward to seeing you in person. Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #216 on: January 31, 2012, 02:28:43 pm »
I do think my core strength has increased while working on this.  The other night at work a coworker was getting a little to big for his britches.  I scooped him up with one arm and threw him on my shoulder.  Then I spun circles until he was ready to puke.  That seemed to settle him down.   ;D

Sidewinder:  You will definitely enjoy the Classic.  It's a blast.  I will see you there.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 05:18:55 pm by osage outlaw »
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #217 on: January 31, 2012, 03:06:50 pm »
Congratulations on a huge accomplishment! I've been involved in several really big osage trees, but I wasn't a loner on them...had a lot of help.
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #218 on: January 31, 2012, 06:53:27 pm »
I do think my core strength has increased while working on this.  The other night at work a coworker was getting a little to big for his britches.  I scooped him up with one arm and threw him on my shoulder.  Then I spun circles until he was ready to puke.  That seemed to settle him down.   ;D

Sidewinder:  You will definitely enjoy the Classic.  It's a blast.  I will see you there.

If the helicopter ride didn't make him puke you could have made him eat one of one of them big ol' cobra headed borers!

Sidewinder-if I was going to the Classic, I'd see you there too.  *wink*
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.