Author Topic: Monster osage tree finished....final stave count  (Read 56587 times)

Offline osage outlaw

Monster osage tree finished....final stave count
« on: July 26, 2011, 01:09:47 am »
I found this tree blown over a couple of years ago.  I have been planning my attack ever since then.  I made up my mind that this would be the year I harvest it.  I knew that it would be an extreme amount of work to get it out, but I knew it would be worth it.  I just couldn't leave this tree to rot in the woods, it was too good for that.  Two weeks ago, I spent half a day just cutting a trail down the hill to the tree.  My brother-in-law has a quad and he owes me a good days work, so I talked him into helping.  He is a lot more experienced cutting trees than I am.  This is the first time he has seen it.  It was a little bigger than he expected ;D

We didn't waste any time getting started.  He fired up Ole Smokey and started cutting.  I grabbed my little homelite and started on the opposite side.   

It took quite a lot of cutting, but we finally got it free from the base.  It was at that point that my brother-in-law decided to go break out his brand new saw.  Ole Smokey sounded like it was running under water and wasn't cutting too good.   The tree has some natural splits to it.  The center of it is actually dead.  At the last cut, it has about a 3" hollow circle right in the center.  That is fine with me.  It will make it easier to split.  Instead of having 24" of tree to split, I will only have 12" to the center.

I thought it would have decent rings since it is at the bottom of a steep hill and right next to a creek bed.  I wasn't dissapointed ;D

I was able to mark out 3  80" sections before the first major limb.

We got my saw stuck trying to get it apart on the uphill side.  We had it cut almost all the way through, it was just wedged together.  I climbed up and got a good grip on the snapped off tree next to it and started jumping.  That worked!  I was left safely dangling from the broken tree.  I wish we had a picture of that.  For a short round guy, I'm pretty nimble.

After that, we had it down where we could work on it a little easier.  A few cuts later and we had it whipped.

My Dad came out to check on us just as we were done with the hard work.  He was able to get a picture of both of us with the logs.

It was starting to get dark down in the valley so we decided to call it a day.  I tried to seal the ends as good as I could with some polyurethane.

We loaded everything up and headed back up the hill.

Back up at the landing zone.  No wood yet, but it won't be long.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 06:38:53 pm by osage outlaw »
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
Re: Harvesting a monster osage tree Day 1 (pic. heavy)
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 01:15:42 am »
Cool post.  Be sure to fill us in with Day-2!  Hell, I'd love to have the tree top you left hanging up there.  Looks like a few bows in that section, as well!
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2011, 01:21:30 am »
There is at least one more 80" section left hanging.  It nocked over a few trees as it fell and its a big tangled mess so its hard to see how far up it goes.  Plus, the top part is on the property line and the neighbor is real funny about what he allows over there.  I will for sure get at least the one piece.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2011, 01:37:10 am »
That's a heck of a project, Clint. Especially in the heat everyone has been having lately. You should be set for life with staves, that's for sure.  8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline SA

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2011, 01:45:24 am »
wow thats some work. i cant wait to see how many staves you get out of that!
Shawn Acker

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2011, 01:56:57 am »
I'm curious about the stave count too.

And Pat, in case you didn't notice, I had just a little sweat going on ;)  I think I got a little dehydrated.  Right now the back of my right thigh is cramped up so bad I can't get up out of the chair. 

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2011, 02:02:56 am »
HOLY COW,that is going to be one heck of a stave pile...i cant wait to see how many staves you get...keep a count for us...what a great find..thanks for sharing...john

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2011, 02:56:08 am »
Awe inspiring Osage Tree Outlaw!!!

I'm with you in your feelings in not letting her go to waste.
Have a feeling the Bow spirits along with the spirit of the tree will be smiling down on you in your noble undertaking... ;)

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2011, 05:27:46 am »
That's some haul...
Impressive bit of work getting that big boy cut up.
De
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2011, 05:59:52 am »
Shhh . . . hear that?  It's the sound of me seething with envy. ;)

Online Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2011, 07:04:35 am »
No that's a nice tree. Should get a lot of bows from that. :) Still a lot of work left
for sure,you got the easy part done. ;) :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2011, 07:20:30 am »
Wow!!!!!!!  :'( the bow wood gods bestowed a gift to you, that is a beautiful sight. The other side may be there come time to split >:D can't weight to hear the stave count!!!
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline dbb

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2011, 08:02:38 am »
I guess that will keep you busy for a while :laugh:
Congratulations from an envious swede!

/Mikael
It's better to ask and look like a fool than not to ask and remain one...

blackhawk

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2011, 09:06:48 am »
We should have a let's guess how many pieces of candy are in the candy jar contest/poll. And the winner gets a stave Clint. Seeing how it looks like you could spare one >:D

My guess is ...well...I don't even really know. Ill say 48 if you take the fourth piece and including the piggy back staves too.

I think that tree was its own demise being so big n tall making it top heavy and unstable. Wow. That's the mother of all mother Osage trees. That's def worth the effort to haul out.

Offline JonW

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2011, 09:27:00 am »
Be watching for limbs about 50" to 60". Those are my FAVORITE pieces to make hunting bows. You should have a nice pile when you are done ;D

Jon W.