Author Topic: pads  (Read 3025 times)

Offline iowabow

Re: pads
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2011, 02:53:59 pm »
I can't do it well either but I am learning.  I took some photos today as I worked the preform to show you how the flakes travel and kinda how I am now learning to set up the leather pad.   I don't pretend to be an expert but this is what I am experimenting with at this point. The first photo shows a step on the left side that I am attempting to take out from the right.  Then you will see how I postioned my hand and fingers allowing for a gap and holding the preform on the backside rather than center.  I think the fourth photo shows where the flake terminated.  It did not take out the step but did eleminate mass so that later it could be removed.  Then you will see the finished peice.  I can thin the work but it is not pretty.  I will learn how to finish when I gain the skill to control what I am learning. For now I am happy just knowing how to thin.   
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 03:14:05 pm by iowabow »
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline iowabow

« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2011, 02:55:59 pm »

« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 03:02:35 pm by iowabow »

Offline iowabow

« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2011, 03:04:45 pm »

« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 03:10:21 pm by iowabow »

Offline triggerfinger

« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2011, 12:38:28 am »
i wouldnt even have thought that it would have been possible to remove that step from the right.   I wish i had those kind of thinning skills.  Maybe i need to go hang out with saw filer too.
I have nothing witty to say.......

Offline triggerfinger

« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2011, 12:42:58 am »
also, your not using a stiff pad?  Just leather?  what keeps the pf tip from tearing your hand up.
I have nothing witty to say.......

Offline iowabow

« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2011, 02:05:37 am »
The only real answer I have about hurting my hand is if you do it right it won't hurt.  It also has to do with where the back of your hands are placed.  The back of the left hand is placed on the inside of your left knee.  I place the handle on the inside of the right knee and break flakes with my legs. Yes' you should work with Shannon "sawfiler" it is worth your time for sure.  Everything I do changes week to week as I learning, so next week I will have a better way to do or think about working the stone. But keep watching people working stones and keep asking questions because it helped me a lot. Now that I kinda understand thinning the hard work of control and perfection begins and I have no idea how long that will take.  Find your way to twin oaks and work with the pros you will learn a lot in a short time frame.