Author Topic: Some tip flipping tools I made...  (Read 5525 times)

Offline toomanyknots

Some tip flipping tools I made...
« on: July 26, 2011, 01:57:06 pm »
Iowabow's thread on building a bow caul got me motivated to try to figure out a better way (then the way I am currently doing myself, I'm sure everyone else is got a better set up than me) of flipping tips, and how to do it faster before it cools down from steaming, as I steam right now instead of use dry heat for the most part to flip my tips. I came up with something like this:

I guess I just steam, clamp and use the little extension for a handle to crank the tips into recurve, then bind the extension/handle with some paracord? The only thing is that putting the clamp on would take alot of precious critical time, I guess I would have to try those clamp that just snap instead of screw, never tried em before and I don't know if they would be strong enough or too strong to crush my bow tips after steamin,.. and of course use a strip of metal on the belly to avoid lifts. But I was also wondering, where do you guys get your strips of metal? I was thinking of trying to find a metal yard stick somewhere, anybody know a better place to find a piece like that? Does the big home depot kinda stores sell strips of metal like that? (I have no idea really, lol  :laugh:, I steam bend hackberry mostly so I get away with alot) 
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
Re: Some tip flipping tools I made...
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 03:34:15 pm »
This is how I do it.
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline Matt S.

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2011, 03:58:37 pm »
Matt, what kind of radius do you use on your form?

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2011, 04:08:01 pm »
Thats pretty slick M.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline cracker

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2011, 04:14:43 pm »
I like it never flipped tips but now I'm gonna try one. Ron
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

blackhawk

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2011, 04:16:01 pm »
My recurve forms radius is from tracing the bottom of a 5 gallon bucket onto a 2x6. I've also used various dimension steel and pipe tubing stuck up in a clamp and stuck the bow tip and metal in and lightly clamp and yank her down. That's for a smaller almost 90 degree sharp bend. Lots o ways to bend wood.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2011, 05:14:05 pm »
Mine is the same as Blackhawks. I have several holes bored through so I can control the amount of curve per bow. Simple as ever a breeze to make. I have a half butt build along I plan on posting shortly, it will show pics of my flipping form.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Matt S.

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2011, 05:59:09 pm »
Mine is the same as Blackhawks. I have several holes bored through so I can control the amount of curve per bow. Simple as ever a breeze to make. I have a half butt build along I plan on posting shortly, it will show pics of my flipping form.

Looking forward to reading it.

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2011, 06:20:14 pm »
Matt, what kind of radius do you use on your form?

I've used gallon paint cans, coffee cans to make the radius.  You don't have to bend the bow all the way flat, if you desire less curve.  Sometimes, I just hold the bow in the position I want it in until it cools.  I have drilled holes also along the radius for a place to tie or clamp the bow in place.
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2011, 06:51:19 am »
Mine are close to the ones toomany has, to speed up the process I use squeeze clamps instead of the screw type
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2011, 03:54:18 pm »
Any pics of these jigs guys?
~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2011, 04:22:48 pm »
Lee take a 1 x 8 board and trace half the bottom of a 5 gallon pail on it. Cut that half circle out and paddle drill about 8 evenly spaced holes through around the arc for clamps. Its easy, simple and the degree of bend can be changed just by placing the limb farther up the arc. I clamp mine in my vice when I flip or recurve. I clamp the tip first and go from there unitl I achieve the bend I want for that particular bow.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2011, 04:30:14 pm »
gotcha PD...makes perfect sense now.  Many thanks...oh, you use a metal backing strip too?
~ Lee

"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline Bow Nut

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2011, 04:36:04 pm »
PD that is the same way I made mine 5 gal bucket and all but I made it out of a 8/4 osage scrap board I had laying around so no cluing to the base.  If you got the an ace hardware you can pick up some 2 1/2 wide by 3 to 5 inche long U-bolts with metal brakets that run from one bolt end to the other.  Slip them through your drilled holes and use a drill with a deep well socket to tighten the plates down to your bow starting at tip moving up the from there as you slowly get it bent.  Fast and easy dont have to mess with a floppy c-clamp.  I will try to add a pic of this tomorrow.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2011, 04:51:36 pm »
Lee I used an old metal wreath hanger. You know the ones that hook over the top of your door to hang a CHRISTmas wreath on? I rarely use it though. I just steam and bend in one fatal swoop. Good idea with the u clamps Matt. I may have to try that next time around.