Main Discussion Area > Bows

The Mechanics of Limb Twisting Explained - An Experiment

<< < (9/9)

Kidder:
I can’t seem to find the answer, but it would make sense that wider limbs are more prone to twist than narrower limbs - is my assumption correct? Thanks in advance.

ssrhythm:
Lots of folks get what’s already been said, but peoples’ brains are different.  I would just confuse myself more by reading this.  That said, I’m going to write this solution to a problem the way my brain beats understands it in case someone else out there has the misfortune of processing things like I do.

I experimented with a broken limb to KNOW what I was about to do would indeed fix my issue.

If a limb is twisted and the string is tracking to/favoring one side of the belly of the limb, remove wood from the side of the belly that you want the string to move towards.

In my case, I usually have to deal with this when I have a recurve bow that has limb twist somewhere, and when it’s braced, everything looks good except for the string not tracking exactly down the center of the recurved limb where it touches the limb.  On my trade bow build, the string was slightly off to the left looking at it from the belly.  I took a few scrapes from the right side of the belly, and the string moves that direction.

I know this is redundant for those who’s brains work correctly, but this is the way I remember and understand it.

Doug509:
Way I think of this is like looking up at belly of an airplane as if it was the belly of a bow on the tiller tree.  Am I correct that the weak side lifts away from the earth and strong side dips towards the earth like a plane going into a barrel roll?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version