Author Topic: 1 for 3 today  (Read 1500 times)

Offline GooseGossett

1 for 3 today
« on: July 29, 2011, 09:54:47 pm »
Question first.  What is the best way you have found attacking a 90 degree angle to create a platform? An angle like this  =>  [

I started keeping my wrists rigid and flexing my new ishi stick and boy does that make a difference!  I added a picture of one of my pressure flakes that went all the way across.  I think I made something that could at least fit in an arrow shaft and broke 2 others.  It's a step in the right direction and I'll tell you that correct form and angle made the world of difference.  Also, obsidian is like butter compared to the stuff I was working.

1 John 3:18 "Little children, let us not love in word or talk but in deed and in truth. "

Offline Tower

Re: 1 for 3 today
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2011, 11:08:26 pm »
Your really comming along. But I have a question . Are you trying to pressure flake the points in your pics? They still have some meat to them.
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline Bill Skinner

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2011, 11:28:34 pm »
Your first point broke because you put enough pressure on it to cause it to flex.  I suspect it was too steep an angle.  Some times, you have to "nibble" those thick spots down until you get the right angles to run a long flake.  You want to push almost straight in, parallel  to the width on the point. 

I also agree with Tower, you are moving into pressure flaking a little too soon, you needed to whack a couple of those preforms a couple of times to get the high spots off.

Your second point looks pretty good, keep after it, you are starting to get the hang of it.  Bill   

Offline GooseGossett

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2011, 12:27:51 am »
Tower: I am trying to pressure flake some of the mass off.  That one was a bit thicker cause I was left with just a bit of width as I was mashing away with the bopper.  (I need to get way more accurate with the bopper) 

Bill:  The one I broke I was able to thin quite a bit but was left with a steppe and I think I did try to take too much of a chunk with a steep angle.  Most likely rushed that one.   Good info on the nibble. 
1 John 3:18 "Little children, let us not love in word or talk but in deed and in truth. "

Offline Timo

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2011, 12:55:02 am »
Steady on Goose,you are improving.

There are a few good knappins coming up later this year. A small one in Joplin around the 19th of August, then there is the bodark primitive skills camp in Sept, then the Osage knappin in the same month I think? It's in Bonneville. Try to make one if you can, the more you are around other chippers the more knowledge you will acquire.

Offline GooseGossett

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2011, 01:29:06 am »
Timo or anyone for that matter... where would I find that info on the Joplin knappin?  Joplin is close to me and definitely doable.  The others most likely conflict with the start of school events happening in the church. 

Offline Timo

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2011, 01:07:21 pm »
Sent you a pm Goose.