Author Topic: Who knows pine pitch!!!  (Read 5621 times)

Offline lowell

Who knows pine pitch!!!
« on: July 31, 2011, 08:52:00 pm »
It was very hot here today so what's better to do than make pine pitch?? :laugh:

This is my first attempt at making pitch.  I'll send a stick of what I made today to someone that makes, uses and know good pitch from bad.....ie.  %$##@  from shinola and tells me what I should do to make it better.  My main purpose for the pitch is hafting points on arrows. 

Would like an honest critique and not just "good job".  Can't imagine I made my first batch as good as it comes. :-\

I kind of followed directions from a post found on this site using pine tar, charcoal and beeswax.  Told my wife I made it just like the Indians did.....went in the house and printed off the directions from the site and came out to the deck and made some!! 8)

My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!

Offline Bill Skinner

Re: Who knows pine pitch!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2011, 11:31:07 pm »
What are the temps where you are?  If it is made right, it should be hard but you should be able to force your thumbnail into it.  If it sticks to your thumbnail, it was not cooked long enough to remove the volital oils or you have too much beeswax.  A little more charcoal will fix that, if it is brittle in the heat, you got it too hot or you have too much charcoal, a little beeswax will fix it.  While on the stick, it should feel smooth and not tacky or lumpy.  Tacky needs to be cooked longer, lumpy means you didn't grind your charcoal fine.  Bill

Offline seabass

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2011, 11:43:01 pm »
i have some made with pine pitch and antler dust.this is some good stuff.it is hard to the touch,but melts nice and sticks my heads great.i got mine at this years classic from a flintknapper that had a booth.i wish i knew his name.he was quite a character.if anyone knows who he is,i would sure like to know his name.i also have some made by Rich Rousso or Halfeye.his is made from spruce.it is also great stuff.it is als*o hard to the touch.i am not sure what he cuts his with,my guess would be charcoal.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2011, 01:25:05 am »
Lowell, I'll give it a try and give you a good critique. I like using pitch glue and use it often.I use pitch, charcoal and bees wax also so I can compare it to mine.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline lowell

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2011, 11:23:15 am »
Pat B,  Send me your address and I'll send it out to you!!  Thanks!!

Bill ....Very good info!!!  Thanks much!!

seabass.,  If I could get somewhere I could get some good pitch, that would be a good way to compare mine to good!!

Offline BowJunkie

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2011, 03:08:41 pm »
Pat you are always a good one for information  ;D
Do you mind sharing your secret recipe  :)
If you don't want to I can respect the guarded secrets.
Anyone else have a recipe they want to share?
Johnny
in Texas

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2011, 03:46:19 pm »
Volume 19 Issue 2 Apr./May 2011 Primitive Archer Magazine,page 48.  "How to Make Pine Sap Glue" by Bill Berger.  Pretty sure that's what you're after.
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline lowell

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2011, 05:29:51 pm »
This is the recipe I roughly followed...

richpierce

Re: Pine Resin and Charcoal Glue Recipe
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2007, 02:46:34 PM »QuoteCutler's resin by Chuck Burrows, a knifemaker of stout repute:
5 parts pitch
1 part beeswax (tallow can replace this-available from your butcher)
1 part filler (wood dust, ash, metal dust, etc)

I use ground charcoal for the filler.  I cook down dirty crusty barky pine pitch in a tin can with holes punched in the bottom and catch the strained drippings in another tin can.  Then add beeswax and then the filler, stirring with a clean split stick.  I let the mixture cool some and then I dip clean sticks in it (popcicle sized) till they load up with dollops of the resin, sorta like making tallow candles.  These can be stored forever, carried on a trip, etc.  When you need hot glue, heat everything before the fire, get that glue stick to dripping, and apply to the surfaces as needed.  Do all your sinewing later, obviously.« Last Edit: December 21, 2007, 02:48:43 PM by richpierce » Report to moderator    Logged
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2011, 01:56:21 pm »
thanks for posting that recipe lowell I'll have to try it. :)
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2011, 10:07:26 pm »
I'm bad for not writing things down so every time I make it it is a bit different.  One trade secret I do have is to use hard, brittle pitch. If you don't, the pitch glue will never get hard. If what you have is soft or gooy you have to cook off the terps(oils) before the pitch will get hard and brittle( be very careful doing this because it is very volatile and you don't want to disturb the fire dept.  ;) ).
 After cleaning the "dross" from the pitch add the bees wax(to make it less brittle  ::) ) then finely ground charcoal to add body.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline BowJunkie

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2011, 11:14:23 pm »
So the brittle Resin is better than the gooey stuff, I will notate that.
So can one make a batch from any any conifer tree ? Or does it have to be from a pine tree?
Now if I can just get my hands on some Beeswax.
Hmmm the vacant house behind me has a 10x20 shed that the bees have called home for the past year.  ::)
Somehow I don't think Pissing off a million bees is worth it.  ;D
Johnny
in Texas

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2011, 01:19:27 am »
Any conifirs will work. Here in the Southeast pines are prevelent. I have used pinyon pine pitch from the west and it makes good pitch glue...and smells good when you're cooking it.  ;)

Offline lowell

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2011, 11:24:55 am »
Just FYI Pat....what I sent you was from very gooey stuff.  So if it works ok then apparently it was cooked enough??

Post Office said you should have it Friday.

Also mine is from white pine.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2011, 05:07:33 pm »
Thanks Lowell.  We have white pines here also but I never made pitch glue from it. I used pitch from pines at our GA hunt club.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2011, 09:45:43 pm »
Honestly, I let the tree make my pine pitch. All my trade points are sinew wrapped though.  I use it right from the tree. All I do is heat it and apply some to the point and then put the point on. It also works great for waterproofing the sinew. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!