Author Topic: Who knows pine pitch!!!  (Read 5623 times)

Offline Bill Skinner

Re: Who knows pine pitch!!!
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2011, 10:58:54 pm »
I collect all the pine pitch that I come across and put it in a can.  When I get home, I melt it down and put it in a bigger can, I heat that up and melt them together.  I keep doing that until I get enough pitch to make a batch of glue.  I collect the soft, after several heating, all the volital oils are gone or I keep it cooking until they are.  Then add the beeswax and charcoal.  You can find beeswax at sewing supply stores and hobby shops.  Do not use parafin, the glue doesn't get hard.  Bill

Offline Tom Leemans

« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2011, 01:56:38 pm »
I believe I saw Paleoleo on youtube saying the "filler" he uses is cow dung. Lots of fiber I suppose but I don't know as if I'd want to cook it LOL!

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2011, 07:39:57 pm »
Any dung you use(cow, horse, deer, rabbit,etc) needs to be dried out completely before you use it!
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2011, 08:33:21 pm »
Yup, I use the wife's fruit dehydrator...works great!

>:D

(Just joking..... ;D)
~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2011, 09:51:42 pm »
mmmmmmmmm, raisins!  ;)
   basically it is undigestable vegitable fibers. I'll stick with charcoal or saw dust. I have lots of each.  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2011, 01:37:31 am »
I made some today.  My 7 yr. old and I went up the hill and collected some white pine sap.  This eve we cooked it down, I tried to strain it, but it didn't work to good and it ended up back in the original container.  I keep bees, so I had the wax and I found chared wood around the fire pit and smashed it between two rocks.  We heated it on a small grate on the coals of a fire we already had burning. I gobbed it onto some china barffe' chop sticks, I always keep mine from these places, and it seems to have set up pretty good.  Got six sticks worth and some left in the can for next time.  Hope to use it soon.   
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2011, 02:46:17 am »
The stuff Lowell made and sent to me is good pitch glue. It is very sticky and sets up in a hard non-brittle state. Just what I like for hafting.  ;)

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2011, 10:45:26 am »
  I've also use it straight from the tree and have'nt cooked any for a few years. I use ceder it seams a little better straight from the tree. Sap thats left over from the following summer ( GOTTEN IN THE WINTER OR EARLY SPRING) seams to work best straight from the tree. I've only done this with ceder so I don't know about left over pine pitch. But I have used pine straight from the tree. I've cooked ceder it also works good. I may just be getting lazy but truefully straight ceder sap from the the tree, sinewed good  cover again been holding my heads and trade points fine for years.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2011, 01:30:02 pm »
Kinda hard to trasport a tree around to get the pitch when needed though, i'd suspect.  :)
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)