Author Topic: Straight fletching jig?  (Read 1899 times)

Offline Prarie Bowyer

Straight fletching jig?
« on: August 02, 2011, 01:38:41 pm »
Hi,

I saw a video on you tube about making medieval arrows on the "Big Jig".  A British company makes this wooden fletching jig.  It looks like a straight fletch.  I forget how much they wanted for it but I made on for $1.35.  I used a $.50 clear plastic ruler and a chip bag clip from the dollar store.  We had allot of "hard board" from finishing out our attic closet.   Naturally I used that.  It seems to work well.  I'm not currently into all the wrapped fletching.  I'm content to glue them down and wrap the ends.  Maybe later I'll get extra creative and get into all the extra wrapping.

the arrows seem to work well enough.  I killed the compost bucket and on one miss my arrow landed about 60 yards away in my neighbors driveway.  I don't shoot like that anymore.  That was with a 35# bow.  I'm wondering how I might rebuild this jig to had a helical fletch and still be able to simply glue the feathers.  I'm thinking I need to offset the arrow rests so that I doesn't run through center and then shave the feather clamp to be a gentle arc.  O maybee bend it?  maybee it isn't necessary.  I'll get some pics up later.

Also I did a spine testing tool that cost $2.00 in printing fees and nuts and bolts.  It seems to work pretty well.  I also used hardboard for that.  the needle was a bike spoke that I got or free.

I'll get pics up later.  Taking the baby to the dentist.