Author Topic: I think I finally get it  (Read 1007 times)

Offline iowabow

I think I finally get it
« on: August 03, 2011, 10:55:28 pm »
you have to have good convexity and some thickness built in before you start thinning or it is much harder.  Well everything you guys said from day one now makes sense.  I was so focused on thinning the idea of making a  surface round was out of the question.  It now makes sense after seeing all of the parts coming together. The convexity actually help thin the work in the end. Hmmm. It is all backwards lol.
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline Tower

Re: I think I finally get it
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2011, 11:17:15 pm »
The clouds parted, a ray of sunshine came down, angels sang Glory to GOD in the highest ! Just joking. Convexity is king of knapping. Your knapping skills have improved by leaps & bounds. Maybe we can break some rocks one day.
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline iowabow

Re: I think I finally get it
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2011, 12:29:23 am »
Lol bread, rocks, that made my soda almost go up my nose.  I really had a eye opening day like none other.  I almost feel like a flint knapper.  I had that moment when you go "really it's that easy".  I can wait to knap tomorrow and practice this new technique or should I say steps.  Now I think the fun begins.  With the point I made today I only had one real issue the rest of it fell together like butter.  It is funny how some flakes just pop perfectly with out the slightest effort.  OK I don't want to sound weird but what fun to see it from start to finish.  Hehe I have a new problem that I have to get control of, I keep knocking off the other edge.   It was fun the first three times now it is an issue.
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!