Author Topic: My first WAR arrow  (Read 10962 times)

DBernier

My first WAR arrow
« on: June 27, 2007, 12:25:39 pm »
I had ordered some Bodkin points off of ebay and when I got them, decided to make a 1/2 doz. War arrows. The heads averaged 20 to 26 grams, quite a spread. I used a 7/16 dia shaft, dowel rod, and added a self nock. The overall length with the point is 35 inchs long. There is an 11 inch tapper on the rear down to 3/8 of an inch. The fletching is goose feathers. The arrow weighs in at 1050 grains and is spined at 100#. I will try and do a better job attaching the fletching on the other ones. Still it was fun making this one and hope the others are as much fun.

Dick

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
Re: My first WAR arrow
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2007, 12:31:44 pm »
Dick - fine lookin arrow! Hopefully I'll be able to put some out that look as good whenever I find the time. Man It's been a busy summer so far.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

duffontap

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2007, 01:47:47 pm »
Nice!  That bodkin looks pretty nice.  What's the socket diameter?  I've always wondered if I should pick some of those up.  Arrow looks really good. 

J. D. Duff

Lloyd

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2007, 03:32:58 pm »
That looks pretty good. For a first attempt that looks stunning! Fortunately my first attempts are lost in the mists of time so no one can see them.

DBernier

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2007, 06:53:10 pm »
Thanks for the compliments. JD the arrow shaft is 7/16 dia (.44) The socket is about 3/8 dia or a little less. I also fitted one to a 3/8 dia Oak shaft and it looks good. Each of the tapered holes is different and not symmetrical. There is a lot of fitting to be done, especially to make the tip parallel with the center line of the shaft. This one is off by about .040 dia "wobble area". JD if you privately email me your address I will send you one.

Dick

Lloyd

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2007, 07:17:14 pm »
Be careful with those points. The pile will snap right off the socket it it takes too much pressure. I broke one sticking the arrow into the ground.

Offline Loki

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2007, 07:52:35 pm »
Nice arrow DBernier!
What length are the fletchings?

Durham,England

DBernier

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2007, 10:12:56 pm »
Lloyd, the points do not look as strong in the neck area as I would like. I think for show and straw targets (already stuck one in), they should be good. Time will tell.

Loki the fletchings are just over 6 inches long.

Dick

Lloyd

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2007, 11:20:52 pm »
Lloyd, the points do not look as strong in the neck area as I would like. I think for show and straw targets (already stuck one in), they should be good. Time will tell.

Loki the fletchings are just over 6 inches long.

Dick

You are correct. Don't shoot any amour, or even dumpsters. Like I said I broke one sticking it in the ground. But they look good though, don't they? I have several dozen of the heavier ones for trade if anyone is interested.

DBernier

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2007, 07:40:09 pm »
LLoyd, what do you need to trade for. I have several different kinds of napping material, POC shafts, Douglas fur shafts, Target/field points, river cane, lemon wood bows etc.

Dick

Offline Little John

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2007, 08:11:53 pm »
Nice arrow Dick, they are fun arent they. I hAVE NEVER  SHOT SUCH A HEAVY ARROW I bet you need a war bow to send them any real distance.   Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

justice66

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2007, 05:41:25 pm »
Very nice arrow,when i first tied my flecthings it would take about 45 mins+ but now it takes about 15 or less,also were did the bodkins come from?my first set came from richard head longbows uk very nice about 150 grains altogether with tips shafts,bindings,exotic hardwood inserts,(purpleheart,bloodwood,walnut)my favs total weight runs about560 within 1 of being perfect at 29 inas soon as i can learn how to post pics i will thanks for the great pic, terry justice  ceres ca, :)

DBernier

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2007, 11:11:17 am »
Justice66, the points came from ebay. Can't remember the outfit that made them. So far the arrows average about 1000 grains and spine out at 100#. Would like to see photos of your arrows.

Dick