Author Topic: 110# tri-lam  (Read 15453 times)

Offline adb

110# tri-lam
« on: August 08, 2011, 04:02:58 pm »
Hey, all.

Just a couple pics of a new bow I finished for a customer. It's being shot for the first time by it's new owner, my buddy Greg.
It's a tri-lam. Ash back, purpleheart core, and osage belly. 76" ntn, black ebony nocks. 110#@30''.

It's not tillered as a traditional war bow. I left it stiff in the handle, as the customer didn't want ANY hand shock. He shot some of my other 'full compass' tillered war bows, and didn't like the kick he felt in his hand.

As you can see, Greg is quite a stout fellow. This is his first heavy bow, and he's only getting it back to about 29". The arrows he's shooting are 31". With more shooting & practice, he'll get it all the way back. With 1/2" ash shafted arrows weighing 80 grams, we were getting 190 - 205 paces distance. Greg is in the Military, and he figures at his pace, we were getting 180 - 190 meters.

Unfortunately, I forgot to take more pics, so I don't have one of it unbraced at rest. I can say, however, that it took about 1/2" of set, starting from a straight glue-up with no reflex. I was very pleased with that outcome. I'll be seeing Greg in a couple weeks to deliver him some arrows and a string, so if I remember, I'll take some more pics then.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 01:48:04 am by adb »

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: 110# tri-lam
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2011, 04:20:17 pm »
Are the French hiding behind that tree line?
Looks good ... not sure about his Superman outfit >:D.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2011, 06:01:13 pm »
Great bow Adam.  It's hard to believe it took so little set!  I'd like to attempt a heavy hitter like that some time. 

It takes a real man to pull off an outfit like that!  Is that from the rendezvous you were at?

Offline makenzie71

• I can robin hood an arrow if I hit it just right.
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2011, 06:35:28 pm »
It takes a real man to pull off an outfit like that!

From an archer's point of view, drawing that bow means he could wear a tutu like a man.
Goodbye, friends. I never thought I'd die like this. But I always really hoped. ~ Fry

Offline adb

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2011, 07:36:25 pm »
Great bow Adam.  It's hard to believe it took so little set!  I'd like to attempt a heavy hitter like that some time. 

It takes a real man to pull off an outfit like that!  Is that from the rendezvous you were at?
Yes, the pics are from our Medieval weekend event. He actually had a nice Medieval linen shirt, but the sleeves were a bit too baggy, so I suggested he take it off to avoid catching the string.
And yes, I was very surprised how little set it took. I think it was exceptional wood, and being 76" long also helped. I was proud as punch with this one, and so was Greg!!

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2011, 07:48:54 pm »
Very nice looking bow. It is great to see a heavy draw weight laminated bow.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline adb

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2011, 10:03:19 pm »
Very nice looking bow. It is great to see a heavy draw weight laminated bow.
I've been struggling to build anything but. I can't seem to get over 100# from any staves.

Offline Ian.

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2011, 08:41:44 am »
Nice looking bow that the stiff centre makes it look 7ft.

adb - I struggled with anything over the 110 barrier which seemed to be a limit on many staves. I wouldn't worry there are ways of going heavy with average quality wood.
ALways happy to help anyone get into heavy weight archery: https://www.facebook.com/bostonwarbowsbows/

Offline adb

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2011, 10:11:06 am »

adb - I struggled with anything over the 110 barrier which seemed to be a limit on many staves. I wouldn't worry there are ways of going heavy with average quality wood.
Care to elaborate?

Offline bothyman

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2011, 11:28:26 am »

Care to elaborate?

Yes, I'm very interested in this too.

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2011, 05:18:21 am »
make it wider and longer. 

Offline Ian.

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2011, 08:27:04 am »
Its more to do with tillering I find, but longer can help.

I have asked the powers that be in the EWBS if we could have a fairly in depth building article that will explain how the heavy bows are made. If you can hold fire until that is arranged I think you will find it interesting.
ALways happy to help anyone get into heavy weight archery: https://www.facebook.com/bostonwarbowsbows/

Offline adb

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2011, 08:36:45 pm »
I do have Steve's DVD on making heavy bows. It is an awesome production, but it also deals with glued up staves. I'd be all ears for info on making heavier weight self bows, especially out of woods other than yew. Thanks, Ian, I look forward to anything anyone has to offer!!
Cheers, Adam.

Offline Ian.

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2011, 09:20:26 pm »
Hi Adam

I can sympathise with you as I'm unable to get Yew or the really good quality timber; but there are ways to make bows out of common woods. Obviously the content on the EWBS site is not up to me but I will put together a word dos that explains the methods I use and the pit falls. I would say that I am no expert not by a long shot, but I am keen for others not to share my mistakes.

Ian

Offline adb

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2011, 03:39:00 am »
Ian,
I look forward to it!