Author Topic: 110# tri-lam  (Read 15451 times)

mikekeswick

Re: 110# tri-lam
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2011, 05:14:28 am »
Nice looking bow that the stiff centre makes it look 7ft.

adb - I struggled with anything over the 110 barrier which seemed to be a limit on many staves. I wouldn't worry there are ways of going heavy with average quality wood.
Care to elaborate?
Make them thicker! ;D ;D ;D

Offline Amatol

« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2011, 07:19:44 pm »
Hello from Sweden! Long time lurker here, and hobby bowyer.
When I started to make bows I whent on to make all the fails pretty much everyone does. But then I found this http://www.alanesq.com/bsb.htm .
The things you read in TBB 1-4 all makee sense after you got some bows under your belt, but this guy makes sense at once.

Sorry for any spelling errors.(English is not my 1st language) WBR Lars

PS. Nice bow!

Offline Hawkeye1974

« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2011, 01:39:46 pm »
Impressive bow!
One day I hope to shoot one like that.
If a guy can fire 3 arrows 125 meters he not only deserves his own movie.  He deserves his own reality show!!! 

-Anonymous

Offline JCrossArchery

« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2011, 01:51:01 pm »
Very nice bow!, what combination did you use?  I typically use Hickory and Ipe and can get them up around 130# and even a bit higher with the use of bamboo.  What kind of war arrow are you guys using?  Anyway again very nice bow.

Jesse

http://www.jcrossarchery.com

Offline adb

« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2011, 12:35:00 am »
As promised in my first post on this topic, I wanted to get a pic of this bow at rest to show how much set this bow took... or better, how much set it didn't take. For a 110# warbow, it took less than 1/2" of set with a stave starting with zero reflex. I was very surprised, and very pleased!
I finally caught up with my buddy Greg, and was able to get a pic.

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2011, 01:01:19 am »
i was wondering if it was possible to get a better picture of the tips, amazingly low amount of set though, i hope the ipe hickory i'm planning on will turn out that nice ;)
good job
noel
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what

Offline Ian.

« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2011, 10:56:48 am »
That's a nice looking bow adb, in terms of time how long would you say it took you to tiller from start to finish not including working time.
ALways happy to help anyone get into heavy weight archery: https://www.facebook.com/bostonwarbowsbows/

Offline adb

« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2011, 12:32:36 pm »
Not including the glue-up and shaping, I'd say it took about 10-12 hours to tiller out this bow. It's not really harder to tiller, just heavier.

Offline Ian.

« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2011, 12:54:23 pm »
That's interesting, the last few bows I have made I have done little tests into the correlation between fast tillering and low set or indeed any way in which set can be reduced.

If you don't mind a follow up question, you would say from the first few flexes on the tiller you had the shape pretty good or did you find that you were removing considerable amounts of wood to get a good tiller.
ALways happy to help anyone get into heavy weight archery: https://www.facebook.com/bostonwarbowsbows/

Offline adb

« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2011, 02:44:56 pm »
I'd have to say that as soon as I get the bow up o the tiller tree, it's bending nicely. This comes from years of experimentig with layout and design, and that has improved vastly over the last couple years. I've realised that careful layout is imporant and that even tapers make even bends.

Offline Ian.

« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2011, 02:47:22 pm »
I agree preparation is the key, what would you think to tillering a bow in under an hour?

Offline adb

« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2011, 09:50:15 pm »
I couldn't tiller a bow like that in under an hour. That's definately rushing it, and I'd probably end up with more set than I want, or breaking it all together. Why would you want to go that fast?

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2011, 10:59:49 am »
Interesting thread. Thanks for the site Amatol.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.