Author Topic: Warbow Shooting  (Read 23556 times)

Offline Phil Rees

Re: Warbow Shooting
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2011, 09:39:27 pm »
..... it would be nice if the people who have no experience of something would keep their opinions to themselves.

...where's the fun in that ....
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 09:46:57 pm by Horace Ford »

Offline CraigMBeckett

« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2011, 12:57:52 am »
Craig, very interesting what you posted about Ascham. If you look at the video you will see that I match the first archer in Ascham's description (except that I'm in no danger of over balancing) Presumably he's talking about civilian archers who are, given Henry Vlll statute shooting at a mark no less than 220 yards. So in effect I, as a civilian in the early 21st century is shooting the same way as a civilian in the mid 16th century (however badly Ascham thinks it is). Cool. Pity there's no description of English military archers technique from the Hundred Years War.
BTW are you in Australia?

Peasant,

Sorry not to have responded before but I work away from home for part of the week and do not have access to the internet when away, (or rather am too tight fisted to pay the price motels want for the service).

Yes I live in OZ, in the parish of Binjura, about 10km outside the little town of Cooma in NSW, a town that's approximately an hours drive from the snow, the sea and the Capital.  ;D

Which of the three archers are you?

Now with regard to your statement "Presumably he's talking about civilian archers who are, given Henry Vlll statute shooting at a mark no less than 220 yards." you are falling into the trap fallen into by most who quote it (or should I say misquote it, probably because so many others have done so), in that it does not in fact make it illegal for an under 24 year old to shoot at closer marks, only that he may not shoot at marks that are 220 yards or closer when using flight or prick arrows (so he must use heavier arrows to do this). Indeed if one considers the Raison d'être for the various statute, hat is to train archers war, what would be the point of only training to shoot at distance when they would be required to shoot at all ranges from the maximum capable by the bow down to targets almost on the point of the arrow before release.

The only full(ish) version of the statute I have managed to find is in modern English so there may be some errors but according to it the statute of 1542 says:

"No-one under 24 shall shoot at any standing prick, except it be at a rover, more than once, when he shall change his mark, under penalty of four pence; that no-one under 24 shall shoot at any mark of eleven score or under with any prickshaft or flight (arrow) under penalty of six schillings and eight pence; that no-one under seventeen shall use a yew bow under penalty of six shillings and eight pence unless his father or his mother shall be possessed of ae10 in land, or he himself 40 Marks; and that the inhabitants of every city, town or place put and keep up butts and shoot at them or elsewhere on holy days and at other times convenient."

As Ian mentioned the disco dancing on the loose really does add distance. I've shot for distance with both static and dynamic looses and I've always shot further doing the Blitzkreig Bop

Ian and I have corresponded about this before (at least I think its the same Ian here as on the other forum??) and yes those that practice it do seem to get greater distances using it, however I have yet to hear an explanation of the process that would logically result in the additional distances, it cannot be the leap nor can it be the other explanations I have been given, but whatever it is it works for them. and from what you say it does for you.

Craig.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 02:04:20 am by CraigMBeckett »

Offline Ian.

« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2011, 08:36:37 am »
It was me Craig, I think it was this forum or paleo. As you said before a high speed camera needs to be used, I will add it is more comfortable to follow the bow a little.

I has to be taken into account though that every second you hold the bow at full draw you are loosing distance, so you cant spend to long dancing around.
ALways happy to help anyone get into heavy weight archery: https://www.facebook.com/bostonwarbowsbows/

Offline CraigMBeckett

« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2011, 02:29:28 am »
I has to be taken into account though that every second you hold the bow at full draw you are loosing distance, so you cant spend to long dancing around.

Which reminds me of something  that has been niggling the back of my mind. I seem to remember a few years ago those who practiced the rolling release spoke of the process of constantly drawing the bow so that they only came to full draw just before the release, which to me sounds reasonable as the bow is only held at full draw for a fraction of a second. But watching the current top shooters and this instructional video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyEIk_INOaY
The current idea seems to be to reach full draw and lock it in while the bow is horizontal or lower, then rotate upwards to the release.

So it seems to me that the technique has altered.

Craig.

Offline peasant1381

« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2011, 05:43:03 am »
Are you in touch with any of the Warbows Australia people Craig? They seem to be mostly in Victoria and I think there is a Queensland contingent too. In regards to the 220 yards business. I looked online and also through the various warbow books that I've got and read several versions of the statute. The telling bit for me (if it actually exists) it that the 220 yards was put in place to "encourage strong shooting" which suggests that to reach that distance a powerful bow had to be used. I don't want to get into any more discussions about historical archery though because they invariably go around in circles with no one being to prove anything conclusively because there just isn't the evidence available to us at the moment. I will however be posting more videos and photos because there are so few people who have the bollocks to post them themselves. The only way to learn this stuff is to see how other people are doing it (rightly or wrongly) I'm not too worried if someone thinks I'm crap, I'd just like to see someone say "this is how you do it right" and post some video of themselves doing the business.
I'm the chap in the red hat.

Offline Ian.

« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2011, 08:20:55 am »

Which reminds me of something  that has been niggling the back of my mind. I seem to remember a few years ago those who practiced the rolling release spoke of the process of constantly drawing the bow so that they only came to full draw just before the release, which to me sounds reasonable as the bow is only held at full draw for a fraction of a second. But watching the current top shooters and this instructional video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyEIk_INOaY
The current idea seems to be to reach full draw and lock it in while the bow is horizontal or lower, then rotate upwards to the release.

So it seems to me that the technique has altered.

Craig.

I don't really think it has altered, its minor improvements that happens over a few years. The archer their matched the current Livery record of 272 yards at our last shoot in bad weather.  The pictures are somewhere.

ALways happy to help anyone get into heavy weight archery: https://www.facebook.com/bostonwarbowsbows/

Offline Phil Rees

« Reply #36 on: July 31, 2011, 01:11:55 pm »
The whole "rolling loose"  thing doesn't make sence to me. Why would you want to come to full draw with the arrow pointing to the ground. From an efficient biomechanical perspective it's a pretty poor technique?

Offline Ian.

« Reply #37 on: July 31, 2011, 02:31:45 pm »
Its doesn't seem to make sense but you cant argue with the results.

Offline CraigMBeckett

« Reply #38 on: July 31, 2011, 09:11:49 pm »
Are you in touch with any of the Warbows Australia people Craig? They seem to be mostly in Victoria and I think there is a Queensland contingent too.

No, I am not, as you say they are in Victoria, even have a Warbow society, attached to one of the major reenactment clubs I believe, probably based close into Melbourne, quite a drive for me, something of the order of 8 hours dependent on traffic through Gippsland etc.

Craig.

Offline peasant1381

« Reply #39 on: August 01, 2011, 06:17:40 am »
The rolling loose does look weird and growing up reading books on the 100YW I wondered why the archer illustrations sometimes looked so strange until I saw some of the modern English blokes doing rolling looses. Have a look at the bloke on the left.

Doesn't mean that the bloke is rolling up neccessarily but some people draw up a relly heavy bow from that position

I use a conventional loose when accuracy is required however. Here I am shooting at a mark 180 yards away.

and after the loose

Craig. Leongatha is where the medieval group is based and some of them are members of Warbows Australia. Do you have anyone who shoots near you? If you ever come over to NZ you're welcome to come along and have have a shoot with us.

Offline CraigMBeckett

« Reply #40 on: August 01, 2011, 12:18:24 pm »
Craig. Leongatha is where the medieval group is based and some of them are members of Warbows Australia

Yes I know, which is effectively Melbourne or beyond (depending on which way I travel), so as I said approximately 8 hours by car.

As for someone near me, I understand one of the clubs in Canberra claims to support medieval style shooting, but Canberra is over 110 - 120 km away and as I have only just restarted (part time) working after being made redundant still have to think of the cost of travel.

As for visiting NZ, maybe some time in the future, but thanks for the offer.

Craig.