Author Topic: Trick Arrows and Howard Hill  (Read 6963 times)

Offline Hawkeye1974

Trick Arrows and Howard Hill
« on: July 04, 2011, 02:37:34 am »
Thanks to stickbender and others on this forum, I am getting better acquainted with Howard Hill and his legendary skills.  Shooting apples off heads at outrageous distances, hitting coins in mid-flight, splitting a ball of wood etc. So I wonder has anyone ever seen or heard of Howard firing 2 or 3 arrows at a time successfully?
the first time I ever heard of Hill was in an old Green Arrow comic called the Longbow Hunters.
I thought he was character of fiction until I heard his name on an episode of Top shot.   As always any site, pictures etc will be appreciated. 
If a guy can fire 3 arrows 125 meters he not only deserves his own movie.  He deserves his own reality show!!! 

-Anonymous

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: Trick Arrows and Howard Hill
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2011, 05:02:46 am »
Never tried 3, but shooting two at a time is no prob, just nock one above the other.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2011, 06:52:34 pm »
I have shot two arrows simultaneously a number of times.  I refer to it as "The Safety Shot" because the target is guaranteed to be safe!!!   :P

You are doubling (or tripling) the weight of the projectile without adding any additional bow strength to handle it.  Plus the upper arrows are extremely "nock high" causing them to porpoise madly.  Not your best shot, you'd do better to learn a rapid fire technique. 

As for Howard Hill....he was unreal in his abilities.  Like Bob Munden with his pistol, Stevie Ray Vaughn with his guitar, or me on a plate of pork ribs.

Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2011, 01:56:21 am »

;D ;D ;D

Wayne

Offline cracker

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2011, 01:30:12 pm »
JW I was thinking the same thing about the ribs. I have also tried the two arrow shot with the same results. Ron >:D
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2011, 11:25:49 pm »
But Kevin Cost-more ('cuz every new movie he does costs more to make than the last) did it, I saw it in Robin Hood!!!  Guess you gotta gnaw the feather off first!    >:D

Offline deerhunter97370

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2011, 08:40:19 pm »
I bought a copy of the movie The Adventures of Robin Hood 1938. In the extras there is a short film Cavlcade of Archery which has Howard doing all sorts of trick shots.
Always be ready to: Preach, Pray, or Die. John Wesley

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2011, 11:12:32 pm »
My favorite story about Howard Hill was the one where he was hired to stand in the bed of a pickup driving down a rail road bed, the tires on the truck bouncing along like mad over the railroad ties.  He was supposed to shoot arrows from the bed of the pickup and hit targets set up along the road.  They told him they'd pay him $100 per bullseye.  After the practice run they owed him $1,200.  He pulled his arrows and started getting back in the bed of the truck when they told him they had enough footage. Apparently they had figured on a whole day of filming and paying him $300.  He blew through their whole budget for the entire commercial on the practice run!!!

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2011, 04:00:02 am »
I admire the mans abilities.  His bow making was pretty sweet also.  I have a problem with actualy shooting apples of real heads.  Shit happens in life.  That was ego mania and irresponsible.  Some idiot will try that with disastorous results.  Remember that he grew up shooting and making bows.  He continued to shoot and practice right up to his death as I understand.  Most of us don't get that kind of practice.

Go to the Howard Hill website and request a catologue.  In there are some quotes and a list of the stuff he has killed with his bow.  It's nuts.  Aparently at one time he was such a celebrity he was rushed by an adoring crowd that tore the shirt off his body.