Author Topic: vintage osage static recurve flight bow  (Read 17222 times)

Offline seabass

vintage osage static recurve flight bow
« on: August 12, 2011, 04:12:11 pm »
hey guys.i met a lady this week that is an 80 year old former flight shooter.she gave me seven vintage bows.here is two osage sinew backed static recurve flight bows.one of which she won a championship july 1st 1946.the specs are 43 1/4 long measured down the back tip to tip with a flexible tape.the siyahs are 5" long.handle is 1".the fades are 1 1/4".the limbs are 1/4" thick .sorry about the bad pics.here they are.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 04:17:14 pm by seabass »
Middletown,Ohio

Offline druid

Re: vintage osage static recurve flight bow
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2011, 04:33:34 pm »
Beautifull bows!Thanks for posting. Are they shootable?

Offline seabass

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2011, 04:52:09 pm »
Druid,i don't want to risk it.i am donating these to the Grayson collection.the sinew is not in great shape.she was a flight shooter and was friends with people like Bill Floberth and E.Bud Pierson and his son Charles.they were friends with Dr.Grayson and Harry Drake.i figured the museum would be a better place for them.she also gave me bows made by Floberth and the piersons.i am going to donate them all.i will be posting pics of them in the campfire section because they have glass backings.
Middletown,Ohio

blackhawk

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2011, 11:48:49 pm »
Those are inspiringly awesome. Makes me wanna replicate one.  Do you know the weight and draw length on them?

Offline avcase

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2011, 01:34:49 am »
What a fantastic treasure!  What is her name?  I am sure that I have some records of shoots she was in.  This is inspiring as I am in the process of getting ready for the flight nationals next month.
Thanks!
 Alan

Offline seabass

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2011, 01:12:51 pm »
Blackhawk,her draw was 25" and she usually shot bows in the 30# range.i do not know what the poudage is on these flight bows.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline dbb

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2011, 01:56:14 pm »
Fantastic bows!
And its so cool to hear history from those who "lived it" instead of reading it in the books.

/Mikael
It's better to ask and look like a fool than not to ask and remain one...

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2011, 03:10:17 pm »
Very cool bows Seabass and a great gesture of yours to put them in a museum in her name.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline seabass

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2011, 03:46:58 pm »
thanks Pat.she is one great lady.she gave me seven bows.two static flight bows,one sultan made by e.bud and charles pierson.one made by Bill Folberth(the guy that invented atomatic windshield wipers and the first patent for a center shot bow in 1933).two yew longbows,one with flipped tips and one straight.a very nice 5' 6" target recurve (maker unknown).she is also looking for her gear box and flight arrows.she is going to give me these also.i spent 3 hours talking to her about archery.she is a wealth of information.now she wants me to bring by my equiptment for her to check out.you can tell that she really misses archery and was very passionate about it.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2011, 04:55:46 pm »
Way cool, Seabass.  I'm with Blackhawk.  Very inspiring.  I will have to replicate one, as well.  BH, if you make one we'll have to have a shootout!
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2011, 04:58:18 pm »
This would make a great article for PA magazine. Have you thought about that? Get an interview from her with the pics of the bows and any possible pics or other memorabelia she may have.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline seabass

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2011, 06:57:19 pm »
Pat,i will sure ask her about the interview.i have never wrote an artice for a magazine before.i have no idea about how to go about it.if anybody has any ideas,let me know.i need to know questions to ask her and about pics.if she will go for it,so will i.she is very interesting to talk to.
Middletown,Ohio

Online Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2016, 04:49:35 am »
Woo.. just seen this really cool post.
Maybe it would be good to move it to the flight bow section?
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Badger

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2016, 07:38:10 am »
  Wow, that was quite a find, is the arrow rest still visible? Curious what it is made out of?

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2016, 09:12:08 am »
So am I right in thinking the arrow rest is sort of a floppy/hand-guard type thing? Never seen anything like it before, anyone still use them?  Are they tied on or glued and pinned?