Author Topic: Backing help  (Read 3777 times)

Offline Gonzo98

Backing help
« on: August 23, 2011, 06:37:21 am »
Should you rough the back of a bow before applying any kind of backing?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Backing help
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2011, 12:07:00 pm »
Read the back of the bottle of glue you decide to use, they are all different. Do what the mfr suggests.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Gonzo98

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2011, 04:30:37 pm »
I want to use hide glue and flax as backing.

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2011, 11:26:18 pm »
Well, if you are using Hide Glue it's a touch harder but try to locate the critter your glue parts came from and then peel back their upper lip...the directions are usually tattoo'd there  ::)  8)

I don't think you need to rough up the surface if using Hide Glue but make sure you clean/wipe it down real good with Acetone and make sure you don't touch the back with your bare (oily) hands or it may effect the adhesion.  Good Luck~

~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2011, 11:49:35 pm »
Lee is seriously pulling your leg.  The instructions are printed under the tail!

Since hide glue is water based the wood will absorb it nicely as long as there is no oil or grease on the surface.  You can wash with acetone, or a drop or two of Dawn dishwashing soap in a pint of water.  I've even washed the back of a bow with a slurry of hardwood ashes and rainwater.  In any case, a little sandpaper after the washing will take down the "whiskers" raised by the water. 

Good luck.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline jeffhalfrack

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2011, 06:15:19 pm »
   Hey  G  !!!!   Where  did you  get  the  flax?????   I'd  love to  try that  some  day!!  linen  fabric is  good  stuff,,,I'll  bet  the  flax  is  awsome?  JEFFW

Offline Gonzo98

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2011, 05:48:04 am »
Thanks for all the replies. I'll see if i still have the tail somewhere. I got the flax from Paradise fibers.