Author Topic: osage bow help  (Read 3260 times)

Offline merriick1990

osage bow help
« on: September 02, 2011, 02:46:53 am »
hey everyone i just joined here. i have a osage stave i harvested almost 2 years ago now that im looking to make into a bow. ive never successfully made a bow and really dont want to mess this stave up cause it only has 1 visable knot which will be removed while thinning the limb, its quite straight for osage, and it has natural reflex in both tips. so im definitely not looking to hack up this stave and watch it blow up in my face. i was wondering if anyone could link a good how to on osage bow making or if theres anyone in ohio (around medina) who wouldnt mind lending an experienced hand sometime, that would be fantastic! considering i tried chasing a ring for the first time today and watched that explode in my face after about 10 minutes  :P

or feel free to rescue this beautiful piece of wood and send the bow back when its done haha  ;)

Offline Stingray45

Re: osage bow help
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2011, 01:39:31 pm »
http://www.youtube.com/user/jimmyblackmon#p/u/3/WoVvbCmdFOc

Would check out that link, its a 8 or 9 part series of videos I believe. There are many good videos on 3Rivers Archery too that might be a good idea to pick up, not to mention all the build-a-longs on here. Good luck.

~Barry
Is there anything better than wandering the earth with a stick and string in your hand?

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2011, 02:49:43 pm »
There's a sticky at the top of HowTo's and Build-a-longs,    
Jawge's (George Tsoukalas) Archery Website that you should go to.  Jawge has excellent instructions for beginners.

Where are you generally located.  There may be a bowyer in your area who could show you the ropes.   If you're near Dallas, TX I would be happy to help.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline merriick1990

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2011, 08:51:23 pm »
I actually watched all the YouTube videos by Jimmy about a month ago before I even knew about PA. And as for Dallas. I use to live in del rio and I'm going to
Visit my girlfriend the 9th- the 14th but it's for her bday so I can't really go to Dallas =\ as for my region, maybe you'd know someone. I'm in medina, Ohio.

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2011, 09:00:14 pm »
Having gone through the First Osage for my First Bow not to long ago.
I recommend you build a board bow or two first.
They tend to be cheap and if you break one or come in under weight on another you are only out some time and the cost of the board.

If you are bent on your Osage stave being your first bow, Go Slow, Double Check your design Twice, and measure Four times before you make Each cut.  :)
And use your scraper more then your drawknife, unless you are quite friendly with your drawknife.

Best of Luck to you.

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline merriick1990

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2011, 09:07:24 pm »
Yeah Ive got 2 pyramid board bows drawn up. One I glues on a handle riser and the other I'm gonna try without and I also have a board mollegabet drawn up that I'm not gonna do a handle riser on as well. Depending on how they turn out will determine if I man up and finish the Osage. I mean I wanna start making my own bows so I'm not buying/relying on someone else for my bows but I'd almost rather mail the Osage stave to someone who'd be willing to finish it for me for the sake of saving a perfect piece of wood. I'll post pictures of the staves later tonight if you guys wouldn't mind giving me your opinion on it