Author Topic: who knows about mohave bows  (Read 1476 times)

Offline Blacktail

who knows about mohave bows
« on: August 15, 2011, 03:42:12 am »
i have been reading a book from paul campbell called earth pigments..he has a section about the mohave bows and he states that the bows are made from willow...now i dont know what kind of willow and for them being so short i would think they would be sinew backed.but they dont look like they are and i think the sinew would over power the wood...does any one know what kind of willow........some say willow is not great for bows BUT i think if they used it why cant i....any ideas or info on these bows...thanks john

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: who knows about mohave bows
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 11:05:50 am »
I read that also. I have heard from two different sources, and got two different answers. One who claims to make replica bows said black willow, which I tried but with not so good results. I really doubt that this is correct because black willow is native to the southeast, with Texas being the farthest west reported native range. The other source said desert willow. I find this a lot more likely because it is native to the areas where they lived. It is a much better wood than any of the willows. I have gone to a few ancient sites and found the desert willow growing in the area. BTW It is not a true willow.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 01:29:39 pm »
Willow and cottonwood were used when that was all that was around. Many of these bows were deflexed and made and used while still green

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 12:28:01 am »
this kind of interesting...i have been told that black willow was the best...but,there must be 1,000 differant kinds of willow...and i am thinking that the bows might be in a lower poundage weight...thanks john