Author Topic: My first knife  (Read 9331 times)

Offline oversee

Re: My first knife
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2011, 01:21:50 am »
Beautiful knife. What you have done to that wood is gorgeous. The blade is nice too. I think you might have a new business here.

Offline Stretch

• I'm a custom furniture maker/wannabe bowyer.
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2011, 02:24:55 am »
Beautiful knife. What you have done to that wood is gorgeous. The blade is nice too. I think you might have a new business here.

Thank you.  Wood finishing is something I know well (I did an apprenticeship to learn that), but really it was just a matter of using a special piece of wood and not messing it up.  All I did was shape, sand, and spray with a few coats of rattle can Helmsman Spar Urethane, scuff sanding between coats.  The metal work is new, fun, and very relaxing.  I'm hoping to turn this into a bit of a side gig to earn a bit of money now that I'm going back to school...again.   :P   :)
Mark
Lindale, TX

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2011, 03:06:31 pm »
Sweet work.  Sometime check out 4ester's (?) how-to etch a blade cheap.  I like the lanyard hole too.  Great job!!
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline jonathan creason

« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2011, 11:17:18 am »
That looks very nice.  What kind of edge does it take?
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

Offline Stretch

« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2011, 11:26:09 am »
That looks very nice.  What kind of edge does it take?

Once I got the bevel angles on it right, it took a very good edge.  I pushed a burr back and forth on it with my oil stones then polished it on the power strop I use for my carving chisels and I had it popping hairs off my arm.  The only thing left is to see how long the edge lasts.  I tried to get a pig over the weekend to give it a workout as a skinner, but the pigs didn't cooperate.   >:(
Mark
Lindale, TX

Offline jonathan creason

« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2011, 12:29:35 pm »
I've had pretty good luck getting a nice egde on these blades, but the edge retention is so-so (of course I haven't been able to test any of mine on hide yet).  They are great for trying out some knives, though.  If you are serious about building more I'd recommend ordering some quality steel from someone like Aldo (aka the New Jersey Steel Baron).  It's a known steel, so you know exactly how to heat treat, and it'll come out cheaper in the end.
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

Offline Stretch

« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2011, 02:56:47 pm »
I've had pretty good luck getting a nice egde on these blades, but the edge retention is so-so (of course I haven't been able to test any of mine on hide yet).  They are great for trying out some knives, though.  If you are serious about building more I'd recommend ordering some quality steel from someone like Aldo (aka the New Jersey Steel Baron).  It's a known steel, so you know exactly how to heat treat, and it'll come out cheaper in the end.

Yeah, I intend to put in an order with Aldo once I get a forge built.  I also have a crud load of 1084 cable cut offs I got from my brother to play with.  He works at a company that makes wire rope and gets cut offs for nothing. 
Mark
Lindale, TX

Offline jonathan creason

« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2011, 06:52:05 pm »
If you ever want to do any horse trading for some of that cable let me know, I'd love to try some of it.
Cleveland, NC

Offline Stretch

« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2011, 08:56:35 pm »
If you ever want to do any horse trading for some of that cable let me know, I'd love to try some of it.

Pay for shipping and I'll send you some.  It doesn't cost me anything, and you'll probably be saving it from a fiery death at my hands.   ;D
Mark
Lindale, TX

Offline jonathan creason

« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2011, 10:58:24 pm »
Let me get to next week and I'll take you up on that deal.  I appreciate the offer.
Cleveland, NC

Offline Stretch

« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2011, 04:58:12 pm »
Let me get to next week and I'll take you up on that deal.  I appreciate the offer.

No worries.  I'll be out of the country until the 28th. 
Mark
Lindale, TX