Author Topic: Here we go  (Read 1643 times)

Offline triggerfinger

Here we go
« on: August 17, 2011, 01:44:05 am »
I finally got a seasoned stave, Chris Cade sent me a hickory stave in a swap, and was kind enough to lay it out for me, since its my first I was glad of the help.  Anyhow, I got it sawn into the shape he had it laid out to, now Im gonna start floor tillering.  Some quick advice on that please? I know floor tillering is just kinda getting the wood bending, but is there a rule of thumb as to how thin should I saw the limbs?  If not what is a safe place to start?Id really hate to mess this up or it is likely to be a few months before I can get another chance.  Lots of staves drying, but only 1 ready.
I have nothing witty to say.......

Offline Sidewinder

Re: Here we go
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 05:15:25 am »
If its hickory,  I would take it to no less than 3/4" thick at the fades and then I would brake out the hand tools and make love to the wood until it shows you its  beauty.

Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 12:18:26 pm »
I agree with Danny! 
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline triggerfinger

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2011, 12:53:51 pm »
I got it sawn to 3/4 thick from the fade to the tips.  Its still pretty heavy duty, might be easier to bend a T post.  But I think im at a starting point.  Wish i could post pics for a coach a long  ;D but Were operating off of 3g cause apparently if you live in valdosta ga you gotta be on the bad side of town to get real internet. 
I have nothing witty to say.......

Offline artcher1

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2011, 02:26:34 pm »
What's the stave's length? Any reflex/deflex in the limbs? What type limb profile (pyramid, rectangular of somewhere in-between)? Rigid or working handle? What weight and draw length are you after? Art