Author Topic: Drawback to NOT gluing tip overlays????  (Read 4818 times)

Offline snag

Drawback to NOT gluing tip overlays????
« on: August 17, 2011, 07:21:16 pm »
I'm wondering can I just finish shaping the tips on this osage bow I am making now and put a finish on it...or is there a big advantage in gluing on tip overlays? I kind of like the idea of just having the osage tips. But if the overlays makes a big difference it their strength and protection I'll put some on. Just never read where it is talked about.  Thanks, David
Is. 49:2 ....He made me a polished arrow and concealed me in His quiver.

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
Re: Drawback to NOT gluing tip overlays????
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 07:27:35 pm »
the advantage is you can cut the string groove across the back of the bow with overlays but you can't cut through the back without the tip overlays as you would be violating the back ring of the bow causing the bow to fail at the nocks.  Without overlays you would just carve notches in the side of the limbs to catch the string.  I sometimes use em and sometimes don't just go with what the bow wants.  :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 08:34:48 pm »
Other than what Josh said, tip overlays are mostly cosmetic!
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline _Jon_

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 09:08:07 pm »
With tip overlays, depending on the material, (Bone, G10 etc..) you can use Fastflight String.  The difference between the two strings will simply amaze you.  I know the difference changed my mind on all the bowstrings I will use from now on.  Another advantage I've found is if you don't use tip protectors, you can always replace the overlay if it gets beat up.  As Pat B said also, it simply makes the bow look a little better. 
Member of "Twin Oaks Bow Hunters,"  Chapmansboro, Tennessee

Offline snag

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2011, 09:13:43 pm »
I was thinking of not putting overlays on if I didn't need to. Just wondered if less wood would provide for a quicker tip or if just that small amount of tip weight would make a bit of difference....don't know if it makes must difference.
Is. 49:2 ....He made me a polished arrow and concealed me in His quiver.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2011, 11:21:13 pm »
An ounce on the tip does more damage than a ton on the grip.  Even if you are using FastFlite, osage really doesn't need tip overlays.  They can look really cool, though, I tend to like seeing them but am too lazy to put 'em on most of the time.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Holten101

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2011, 07:57:44 am »
I find that overlays are needed to keep the tips as narrow as possible...only option in my experience is to eithe cut a groove in the back (not really an option on most woods) or use wrap on "nocks". I have come to refer the latter from overlays on narrow tipped bows.

Some think that overlays looks good....they can, but it is also the first step away from a "true" selfbow and towards "fiberglass mentality" (my own totally biased opinion;-)

Cheers

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2011, 08:05:08 am »
I tend to use them on most bows, I thin the wood so they really don't add much if any weight. They look good and do add some protection from splitting if the string gets fared in the nock area. I have seen that happen more than once and split right down the limb of the bow.They really aren't that much trouble to do so I do them on most of my bows now. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2011, 12:24:06 pm »
I dont believe there are any drawbacks to not using them, I rarely do unless the bow is backed with boo.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

mikekeswick

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2011, 02:58:09 pm »
Agreed with what has already been. I have been make needle tips a bit recently. Just use really small loops on the string. When these small loops it sort of makes it own groove after a while.

Offline bubby

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2011, 09:30:03 pm »
I angle the glueup line from back to belly when i do mine, so really there is no extra weight or bulk at the tip, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2011, 10:36:01 pm »
On osage, I can't think of any advantage to overlays. I almost never use them with the possible exception of yew. I am a simple person. I like simple things. Besides, I like my selfbows to look like selfbows. :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2011, 10:46:16 pm »
I like them as tip protectors. I have chipped them before and replaced them. If the tip of the bow were chipped like that it could have been a real concern.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah