Author Topic: backing maple?  (Read 1496 times)

Offline jturkey

• I wouldn't make it a habit calling me that!
backing maple?
« on: August 19, 2011, 12:12:30 am »
i was wonderign if using a thin layer of boo on maple would be a good choice. was wondering considering that maple is high in elastisity i believe i read that on here somewhere i believe it is higher than compression strength anyways so what are you guys opinion?
doc

Offline Badger

Re: backing maple?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2011, 12:24:14 am »
Maple is a good wood, somehwhat prone to chrysaling but not extreme. I think a thin boo back would work fine as long as you made the bow as wide as you would normaly make a maple bow for whatever design you are using, or at least close to as wide.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2011, 01:06:42 am »
One problem with boo backings is you are limited to how wide you can get because of the concave underside. A 1/8" at the crown boo strip will only be 1 3/8" to 1 1/2" wide.   You could use a trapiziodal cross section favoring the belly and get maybe 1 5/8" to 1 3/4" wide belly.  With a bow that is a bit longer you should be OK.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

mikekeswick

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2011, 10:07:38 am »
I've made a 35lb @ 25 boo backed maple d-bow, about 60 inches long. It worked a treat, shoots just shy of 200yds with fairly heavy arrows. I trapped the boo somewhat though.