Author Topic: how many ??  (Read 6354 times)

Offline sonny

how many ??
« on: June 29, 2007, 07:44:23 pm »
how many arrows do you typically carry when you go hunting (for big game) ?? I typically carry two or three....sometimes in a quiver, generally not.
but for some reason this time of year, couple or three months before hunting season, I start getting sorta antsy about making new arrows for the fall,, when those from last season would/ should do fine, except that I've made a new bow and want new arrows  :-\.
maybe I'll sort through those already made, pick out the best three or so and make another few that'll shoot the same, I hope...

just dawned on me that I should point out that when I go deer hunting it's for several hours at a time, not for days.

Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
Re: how many ??
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2007, 08:19:20 pm »
I wouldn't think you'd need more than three - one for the kill, one for the second chance, and last one for the hail marry ;D. Not that I would suggest taking a hail marry at big game though :).

When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2007, 09:09:21 pm »
I usually carry 3 broadhead arrows and sometimes a flu flu.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2007, 09:37:25 pm »
                                   I carry 3 stone broadheads. One on string, one in hand an one in mouth. In back quiver I have 2 more broadheads one blunt one flu flu an a water skipper arrow. Thats fer hintin' deer an hawgs. Small game is different........bob

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2007, 11:56:26 pm »
Bob, Do you use a whistler along with your skippers? I read somewhere about using both for duck hunting. If the ducks are flying you shoot the whistler up at them. They think its a hawk and light on the water where the skipper comes into play. 8)    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2007, 12:15:10 am »
       Pat.........       I have used whistler arrows but I usually dont. I shoot ducks on the water durin' their season while Iam huntin' deer and hawgs since both seasons overlap. I have had some luck with whistler arrows but fer the most part I haven't been able to get them to work fer me. Cane skippers work great at least fer me ;D........bob

Dustybaer

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2007, 05:32:25 am »
OK, call me dumb, but what's a skipper?

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2007, 08:56:30 am »
                                          Marius.......... a skipper arra is just that ! It skips along the top of the water. It has a sharpened fire hardened wood tip and a ring of sinew about 1" behind the tip. Sinew is wound ta be about 1/2" in diameter around shaft then covered with pine pitch ta be waterproof. When shot BELOW a bird on water, usually a duck the ring of sinew makes it "skip" and hit the bird. Very effective. Ring wont let it go below surface. I use cane arras so they float an I can retreive  ifn I miss :'(  Kinna like skippin' stones along he top of water ! Been usin' em fer years mostly on wood ducks in season an cur...., ah never mind ! ;D Yummy, very tasty !  Will try ta post a pic fer ya later today of one............bob
« Last Edit: June 30, 2007, 08:58:29 am by Kowechobe »

makete

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2007, 01:39:24 pm »
I usually carry about 6 arras with broadheads and a couple with blunts. You never know when you will miss (lol) a couple of shots and get another chance at another deer or elk. Blunts are for grouse and stumps,

Offline TRACY

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2007, 09:10:00 am »
I carry 3 broadheads and a small game arrow in an old four arrow bear quiver. Don't like the quiver on the bow.
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956