Author Topic: Stone and Cedar Celt!!  (Read 1195 times)

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
Stone and Cedar Celt!!
« on: August 19, 2011, 04:43:05 pm »
Bill Skinner gave me the Cedar and carved stone a couple of weekends ago after I gifted him with a flute.  Needless to say I was astounded by his generosity!!!!  Looking at the bevel of the cutting edge and the hardness of this rock I know he spent countless hours grinding it to shape.  I didn't want to mess up this fine gift so I have been researching about how to carve the hole through the handle for the past week or so. I finally decided enough was enough... nothing to it but to do it!

In order to get a good fit without splitting you first have to have a tapered stone.  make your hole slightly tapered too and make it wide enough on the sides not to touch the stone or using the Celt can cause your handle to split.  You only want it touching the stone on the top and the bottom.  Once you get your hole close you insert the stone and start to use it.  The more you use it the tighter the stone fits into the handle.  I have only struck it like 20 or 30 times and the stone is firmly wedged into the handle enough to where I can't pull it out now so I am calling it good!  :)  The Celt didn't want a modern finish so I just boned it with a deer leg bone and it is shiny as a new penny.

Thanks again, Bill.  I really like my Celt.  Hope to see ya at the next event.   :) :) :)

« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 04:46:34 pm by Josh »
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
Re: Stone and Cedar Celt!!
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2011, 04:52:10 pm »
That's cool Josh. Now to start cutting wood for winter :D. So, which Abe lincoln were you quoting there?
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
Re: Stone and Cedar Celt!!
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2011, 05:01:49 pm »
Ha!!  Don't think I am going to be using this celt full time... I think I am going to leave it being a more ceremonial piece...  :) 
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln