Author Topic: deer season cant get here soon enough.  (Read 3569 times)

Offline Bow Nut

deer season cant get here soon enough.
« on: August 20, 2011, 01:17:18 pm »
well made some deer tacos last night and about 10 pounds of deer jerky.  Used up the last of my meat other than 2 tenderloins.  I only kill as many as I think my wife and I can eat and I underestemated as I have a month to wait to hunt again and not enough meat.  I usually grind my shoulders and necks and make jerky out of the hams or smoke them and grill or smoke the tenderloins.  I make cube steak and fry them up as well.  I have to say the tacos and jerky are my favorit and my wifes favorit as well.  Does any one have any good receipies as there favorit way to prepair venison.  I would like to try some different ways of prepairing this season.  I am all ears.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: deer season cant get here soon enough.
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2011, 01:29:04 pm »
My favorite way to prepare backstraps is to rub it with olive oil, add salt and pepper and sear it is a cast iron skillet on all 4 sides then pop it in a 350 oven for 15 minutes(rare) or 20 minutes(med rare). When that is done remove the meat and set it aside to rest. Deglaze the skillet with beef broth(unless you have deer stock), add a shot of bourbon(or brandy) and heavy cream and reduce to about 1/2.  After the meat has rested for 10 minutes or so slice it into medallions and serve with the pan sauce. I add any juices from the meat to the sauce.
  This goes good with over roasted potatoes steamed vegs and a green salad.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Bow Nut

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2011, 01:32:52 pm »
that sounds good I will have to try that.   I love potatos and baby carrots

Offline sonny

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2011, 01:51:48 pm »
a buddy of mine (who I hunt with a lot) cuts it into thin steaks, marinates in a couple of different things (teriyaki, oil and vinegar, etc) and then cooks 'em on the grill. It only takes a minute or two per side and they're ready to eat. Not much of it actually makes it to the table as we're generally eating it as it comes off the grill.

also, I don't particularly like beef liver but he also thinly slices deer liver and cooks that on the stove. love it!! as it's much milder tasting than beef liver.

Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2011, 01:53:11 pm »
My wife makes Bok Choi with venison that is wonderful if you like oriental.  She also does strogonoff with venison that is divine.  Now that I think of it, everything she makes is divine...probably why I'm overweight.  Well, that and no will power. ::)  O wait, she's adapted my mother's roasted pheasant smothered in mushrooms and onions to work with venison.  That is especially good with the tougher steaks from older deer.  Man, I'm getting hungry.

My approach is to shoot all the law will allow and give away all we can't eat.  Last season I gave away 2 deer.  The local food pantry will take venison.  Since I like to butcher most everybody will take it.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Bow Nut

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2011, 02:46:01 pm »
Shoot gstoneberg I think I would have to clear all the deer off my land to hit that number.  I dont think my 200 acres will support that many kills on top of the kills my buddy gets.  I usually have the opertunity to shoot 20 or 30 deer a season there.  There are lots of them but I usually like ot just get a buck or two and 2 does.  We are allowed 12 deer.  2 bucks 10 does.  I saw about 80 last year but only 23 where in bow range.  2 nice 8points 1 nice 7 point a handfull of smaller bucks and about 15 does.  I shot one of the 8pts at about 15 yards missed the other as he chased a doe right by me at about 7 yards and shot 2 does.  but 12 I dont think I have the freezer space either lol.  I am a conservatist and only like to take from the land what I need.  I would rather watch the deer and learn from where they come from and go to and try to patern them to help me get right ontop of the big bucks.  we have hogs and turky to so I usually fill my tags with turkeys adn take a hog to two.  but the turky goes quick and the hogs do to.  I will just have to shoot one extra deer this year and hope that lasts us through the off season

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2011, 04:33:10 pm »
You must live in GA, Bow Nut. I hunted just outside of Stevens in Oglethorpe county for over 25 years but had to drop the club due to my economy!  ::)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2011, 05:01:37 pm »
Good point, BN.  12 might be too much.  My lease is 200 acres as well.  The other guys haven't been shooting many deer.  If they pick up their shooting I'll back off a little to what I need as well.  Most people aren't as willing to shoot does as I am.  They're tasty! :)

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Bow Nut

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2011, 05:16:43 pm »
yep sure do.  growing up I hunted on 10000 acres in talbot county, marion Ga.  so 200 acres is a big drop but I could not afford that place being I my wife just gave birth to out first child and had to go smaller me and my buddy split the lease on the 200 acres, it is only 300 a person.  suits me fine as my first year there I stuck a nice 8pt and saw many nice deer.  Got this big guy on trail cam along with many other nice ones.  and the one I missed was much bigger than the one I shot.  You know if you want to get the tags and have the time you are welcome to come down for a weekend.  Built my buddy a bow and he said that he is not going to hunt with his compound this year.  Told me he is going to hunt with that bow all season lol.  Chalk another one up for the primitive comunity.  cant promis you a deer but can promis you a good time in the ga woods.  our land is in elberton ga and butts up to the core land around lake J.B. Russel.  Let me know if you will have a free weekend.

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2011, 06:06:00 pm »
Venison Stew:

Like to take a whole hind quarterand bone out.
Open it up so that it lays flat, outside down.
Rub crushed garlic, chopped bacon, cracked black pepper, and sea salt (to taste) into the opened up roast.
Then roll it up and tie it together in a roll.
Then brown it in bacon grease throughly.
Place in tow gallon or bigger pot with bay leaves (to taste) and gently boil till venison turns with a fork.
Remove roast from pot and add the trinity (as much as you like) and bring to boil. cook till onions and celery are almost done.
While cooking veggies I open the roast and put it to the fork (shred the meat).
Now that hard veggies are done and meat is shredded, add meat and fresh Mushrooms of your choice back to boiling pot.
Put on a pot of rice.
Bring stew back to boil and turn off, let stand till rice is done, I also do a final seasoning adjustment if needed.

Serve stew over rice with bread of your choice... or crackers. :)

This also works with a neck roast, one of my favorites.
It tends to be more work, but the pay off in flavor is worth it.

Always better after resting over night in the refrigerator.

-gus

"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline Bow Nut

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2011, 06:21:04 pm »
man these are sounding good I am going to have to print this post.

Offline barefootbowhunter

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2011, 01:04:51 pm »
ahh a freshly arrowed heart and liver. alder fire,and a cedar stick. and dine in its sacred smokey goodness. of course this will bring the ancient hunters of the past to dance fireside.... you have been warned

Offline Bow Nut

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2011, 04:06:54 pm »
Good point, BN.  12 might be too much.  My lease is 200 acres as well.  The other guys haven't been shooting many deer.  If they pick up their shooting I'll back off a little to what I need as well.  Most people aren't as willing to shoot does as I am.  They're tasty! :)

George
yea I hear ya I would take a dow for table fair anyday over a buck.  yea were i hunted before this place no one shot does is was frustrating made the rut hard because there were so many does the bucks did not have to go far to find one.  me and my step dad would stack them up to pick up the slack but I always had more than I needed and did not like that much.  I would give it away but alot of it went to making fancy meals for my dogs lol.  They went nuts every time I pulled a hunk of meat out of the freezer.  I dont have my deep freezer any more so I dont have the room either. 

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2011, 05:07:12 pm »
ahh a freshly arrowed heart and liver. alder fire,and a cedar stick. and dine in its sacred smokey goodness. of course this will bring the ancient hunters of the past to dance fireside.... you have been warned

O man, fresh deer liver and onions is one of my all-time favorite meals!  Even though my wife hates it, she makes it for me and it is exquisite.  Not exactly over a fire, but wonderful nonetheless.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2011, 12:40:55 am »
 Bownut, Elberton is just across the bridge from Chris Cade's,(mechslasher) place in S.C. I'll be up that way a few times this year.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?