Author Topic: Fair price on old Bear Kodiak Magnum?  (Read 22352 times)

Offline CherokeeKC

• PM108323
Fair price on old Bear Kodiak Magnum?
« on: August 23, 2011, 11:04:16 am »
I stopped by a pawn shop yesterday and they had an old Bear Kodiak recurve 45# with $250 price tag on it.  I looked it over real well looking for scratches, dents, etc.  It was in decent shape.  On the back of the top limb there are a few scratches/gouges about 6 inches down from the tip.  But to me they didnt look deep enough to cause failure.  The tips are scratched up a little but nothing too bad.  I told the guy it wasnt worth $250 and i offered him $150 for it and he said he would take it.  Do you guys think this is a fair price for this bow?
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 03:29:45 pm by CherokeeKC »
Aim Small...Hit Small

Offline CherokeeKC

• PM108323
Re: Fair price on old Bear Kodiak?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2011, 11:07:31 am »
And just to give an idea of how old, it is the kind of bow that has Bear Kodiak written in a weird light greenish color and the rest of the bow is also green.
Aim Small...Hit Small

Offline CherokeeKC

• PM108323
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2011, 01:06:43 pm »
I just verified it is a Bear Kodiak Magnum (Glass Powered) has Greylind, Michigan written on it. I found a reliable website that said it was made between 1961-1977 and is 52".  Just figured this would help someone give an opinion on the price.

Thanks ahead of time
K.C.
Aim Small...Hit Small

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2011, 02:48:24 pm »
 If it was a Kodiak, depending on the year, $250 would be a fair price. A 52" Kodiak Magnum is not as collectable, I wouldn't pay more than $150 for it. Depending on condition $100-150. Were the limbs straight?
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline CherokeeKC

• PM108323
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2011, 03:03:13 pm »
I'm gonna stop by today after work and look it over again and take pics of any wear and prolly post on here tonight.  I will check for limb straightness.  Thanks for the reply!
Aim Small...Hit Small

Offline CherokeeKC

• PM108323
Re: Fair price on old Bear Kodiak Magnum?
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2011, 06:47:56 pm »
Here are some pics.  I am thinking about using this bow for bow fishn so it not being new and having scratches will make me not worry about scratchn it up while using it.  Sorry that some of the pics arent too clear.  Also a lot of the white marks you see will rub off with fingernail.  More like scuffs than scratches.

Here are the scratches/gouges I was talkn about.

This last pic shows a scratch/gouge in the belly of the upper limb.  The very lower tip of the gouge is the deepest and it goes into that first layer of the bow (i guess its fiberglass on belly and back?).  I dont feel like its enough to cause the limb to fail though.  What do you all think?

« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 06:55:01 pm by CherokeeKC »
Aim Small...Hit Small

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2011, 07:58:12 pm »

It looks just like the one I use for bow fishing. Don't leave it sitting in the hot sun or in a hot car. I have seen a few of these bows seperateing along that purple heart accent stripe from getting too hot. Just smear some super glue in that deep scratch, clean the bow up and give it a light coat of Poly Urethane and it should be good to go.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline CherokeeKC

• PM108323
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2011, 01:40:22 pm »
Ok thanks a lot mullet!
Aim Small...Hit Small

Offline 4nolz

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2011, 01:48:03 am »
with purple stripe and green tips it should be a 73 or a 74',75' had a purple stripe with gblack and white tips,the 76' had a blue stripe and black/wh tip overlays-often the purple appears blue in photos?

$150 for a really clean one is a good price,this one is kinda rough but looks usable.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2011, 03:24:05 am »
   Uh, oh, looked who wandered in ::) Glad to se you here, Bud. ;D
Lakeland, Florida

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2011, 08:10:46 am »
I gave $75 for a Bear Grizzly of about that same vintage a few years ago but it had a little twist.  Like Eddie said, limb straightness is the most important thing to watch for.  Don't stand it in a corner to store it.  I think it'd make a great bow fishing bow, especially if the draw weight is above the typical 45#.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2011, 10:28:17 pm »
 George, generally Grizzly's aren't worth as much as Kodiaks. Did you get the limbs straight?
Lakeland, Florida

Offline CherokeeKC

• PM108323
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2011, 12:30:22 am »
Thanks for the input guys!
Aim Small...Hit Small

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2011, 12:34:42 am »
George, generally Grizzly's aren't worth as much as Kodiaks. Did you get the limbs straight?

Sorry Eddie, I didn't see this.  Yes, and no.  I got the crooked limb straight, hunted with it for several years and over time the bend came back.  It isn't bad enough that the string comes off, but I don't shoot it any more.

George
St Paul, TX