Author Topic: Wingshooting with primitve gear?  (Read 8537 times)

Offline TRACY

Wingshooting with primitve gear?
« on: July 01, 2007, 09:19:36 am »
Just got done reading a quote about the skipper arrow by Kowechobe and would love to hear more techniques about hunting ducks, geese, grouse etc. I've made attempts to harvest ducks with hickory bow and cedars using decoys and call, but have not been able to connect, yet. Lots of fun!
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Loki

Re: Wingshooting with primitve gear?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2007, 11:35:33 am »
What heads do you use to hunt Birds?
Is the Type 6 forker any good?
Hector Coles Type 6.
Durham,England

Offline welch2

• redneck heathen
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2007, 03:17:17 pm »
As a kid we hunted bob whites, we used mayonnaise jar lids ,with a hole in the middle ,behind a field point. Granted that was on aluminum arrows, but it worked very well . Maybe you can up with something more paleo.

Ralph

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2007, 04:10:32 pm »
 A friend of mine showed me an article in a magazine once ( wish i could remember the name of it)about Rock bows. They were set up to shoot rocks ,or fire hardened clay balls. the article said that they were very deadly on flying game and that you could make a hundred clay balls faster than one good arrow. Ive been wanting to try building one for a while but it keeps getting moved to the back burner.
Steve Bennett

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2007, 11:36:21 am »
If you've ever hunted quail with an arrow tipped with a mayonaise jar lid, you might be a redneck............. ;D
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2007, 04:12:31 pm »
I believe what Bob was talking about is the skipping arrow, it skips (obviously), so if you shoot slightly below a bird on the water, it'll hit.
     Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

Offline TRACY

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2007, 10:20:51 am »
I generally use a judo and or ACE tapered blunts with cutting edges. I have used old broadheads for geese, but choose not to use them for ducks over water because if  or when I can connect I would be concerned about my dogs retrieving bird w/ bhead. Although, I think my labs would die from shock it I did put one on the water, They give me funny looks when I miss w/gun(lol). Thanks for the feedback. Learn something new everyday here.

Offline Bear Claw

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2007, 02:14:48 pm »
In one of my primitive skills books (can't remember which one) I saw a set up for an arrow for wing shooting. It was basically four shardwood sticks about 4 inches long, lashed to the business end of the arrow in what resembled a #(tic-tac-toe) looked like it would work.
Aaron from northwest Arkansas.

Offline kiwijim

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2007, 08:10:22 am »
theres an article in one of the first PA magazines about making heads for shooting birds on the wing. Maybe someone can dig it up
The heads started with a simple blunt made from a rifle cartridge.
3 small holes were  drilled right through the both sides of the cartridge. The holes were positioned so that the  6 resulting holes were equally spaced around the diameter of the cartridge.
Finally three 8" lengths of spring steel wire were jammed through the holes so there was an equal ammount of wire protruding from each side of the cartridge. the resulting arrow head ended up with six 4" wires protruding from the arrow head- kinda positioned like the spokes of a wheel. The end half inch or so of the wire was bent foward.
Basically the resulting arrowhead looked like a giant six pronged judo. I remember the author of the article thought very highly of them.

hope this description makes sense

james

Offline TRACY

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2007, 10:06:02 am »
Sounds like an excellent head for birds. I really enjoy dove hunting and would love to be able to harvest a mess with the bow. I've tried the SNARO heads and don't care for them. These are similar to what you described but weigh a ton and limit shooting distances too short for most hunting situations. If anyone has any recollection of this article would you please post? Thanks for the input, I might re-invent the wheel with this idea and find a lightweight and inexpensive head for small gamebirds.

Thanks Tracy

Offline kiwijim

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2007, 06:17:16 am »
Hi Tracey,
Read the new thread on judo points. These guys are discusing a similar type of head

James

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2007, 10:09:50 pm »
Hey turtle, got a friend from Cambodia that shot those kinda bows your talkin bout...called pellet bows. You gotta move your hand and bow out of the way upon release or you get hammered by the projectile...lol......sorry, didnt mean to hijack your thread TRACY.....Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....