Author Topic: has any one used movers blankets for a back stop?  (Read 7734 times)

Offline blades7558

has any one used movers blankets for a back stop?
« on: August 26, 2011, 03:06:02 pm »
I was thinking that movers blankets would make a good backstop. The dimensions are 72" by 80" for a typical blanket. Im thinking even if I stapeled some 1x2 slays on it to help stop the arrow it would work... I have one blanket I think im going to try tonight at various distances
build em...break em...sigh....build em....

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: has any one used movers blankets for a back stop?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2011, 05:58:46 pm »
Just fasten it along the top of the blanket and let the bottom hang free. That way the blanket will absorbe the force from the arrow when it hits.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Scowler

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2011, 09:54:33 am »
Interesting idea.  Keep us posted.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2011, 03:20:30 am »
Shoot blunts and you will have no problems with punching thru!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline blades7558

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2011, 01:05:11 pm »
Well its not as good as u had hoped. I shoot a 55lb bow and from 25 or 30 yds the arrow punched right through.  A six fletch flu flu however did not. I also folded the blanket and shot at it this turned out better it only punched through at 10 yds. So I might make a target out of the blankets....

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2011, 03:33:15 pm »
If you switch to blunts you won't have the problem.  Field arrows are pointy so that they pierce the target.  At least try filing the tips flat so that there is more resistance.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline blades7558

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2011, 01:48:26 pm »
i thought of that, but thats alot more work then i wanted to put into it, plus filing the tips flat would be bad because i couldn't use the arrows on other targets. i saw the article in the last PA magazine where the guy made blunts out of hard wood which is appealing to me but i still like the idea of my arrows sticking into the target.

Offline Bow Nut

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2011, 12:42:10 pm »
never used blankets but I have used old carpet using it the way pat said the arrow will usually hit and fall to the ground if it is hangin free.  if you make it tight it takes about 3 layers and you  only get about 4 inches of penetration.  works great.

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2011, 06:02:27 pm »
I've seen and used a large sized tightly woven nylon net for a back stop at private range years ago in Arkansas that worked great.
It was a fifteen by fifteen foot net hung in a ten by ten foot frame.
We shot many different weight bows (no wheelie bows) at it and very few arrows made it through with field points.
No broadheads were shot at it.

With all that said, I am still looking for such a net to use for shooting in my yard.
No Luck yet.

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX