Author Topic: Newly Finished Bow, Holmegaard  (Read 15380 times)

Offline samuraiwarrior

Newly Finished Bow, Holmegaard
« on: July 01, 2007, 04:05:43 pm »
It may just be time for me to share one of my bows with you guys.  Started it from a scrapped project, I had already sinew backed the board, and I don't remember what I planned on doing.  I decided to go for a holmegaard style.  It is a total of 60.75" long, and 59.5" ntn.  Draws about 55# @ 26" from belly, but I have drawn it farther than that.  Limbs are 1-13/16" wide for the working section, and that quickly tapers to 3/8" tips. 

I filed an angle on the back of the nocks, and glued on some Water Buffalo Horn.  The handle is some maple board I got at Home Depot. 

Finish is some kind of MinWax stain and seal.  I would have liked to do a coat or two of Polyurethane over it when it dried, but I was too impatient.  I keep a coat of paste wax for further insurance of water protection.  Bow has just under 1" of resting set, and almost 2" just unbraced set.

It is definitely a quick shooter, and one of my best lookers so far.  String is a 9 strand B-50, 3 bundle Flemish. 

I'll admit that I probably could have made the outer limbs a little thinner, but it has no handshock and it doesn't bother me. 

Weights around 19.5 oz.  Hope you like!

Some more shots here:http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v623/Samuraiwarrior/My%20Bows%20and%20Arrows/

I'll try to get a better full draw picture, but I think that one shows it ok.  On Holmegaards, I have come to prefer the inner, wider limbs working, while the tips remain stiff.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: Newly Finished Bow, Holmegaard
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2007, 04:24:19 pm »
Very nice bow. Congratulations. Just wondering why you are using only a 9 strand string. Draw weights for wooden bows are measured at the back of the bow. You are pulling in the high 50's for poundage. If it were my bow I'd have on a12 strand string. I'd hate to see that string break on you. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2007, 04:42:25 pm »
That's a real nice looking bow. Good job.   I agree with George, it wouldn't hurt to go with a thicker string.
     Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2007, 04:44:25 pm »
Well, I mean stronger, but adding more strands will make it stronger and thicker so...... whatever, you know what I mean.  ;)
     Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

Offline samuraiwarrior

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2007, 05:48:36 pm »
Thanks Jawge and Sean.  I just had the string laying around from another bow.  It is definitely strong enough, if you only need 4x max draw weight.  I'll probably make up a thicker string or 2 so I have a back up.  Any ideas for what to put on the handle? 

Offline Badger

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2007, 06:19:26 pm »
Great looking bow you have there, holmgardes are hard to beat when done right, looks like you nailed this one. Steve

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2007, 08:00:24 am »
Very nice,live the finish.Good job. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline DanaM

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2007, 08:04:02 am »
Looks to be a sweet shooter, well done.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2007, 08:38:26 am »
Good looking bow! What kind of wood is it?
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2007, 11:04:04 am »
Love it! Is this a good design for my ash boards?? There purty well cured out. ;).....Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

duffontap

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2007, 01:01:17 pm »
Very nice. 

As far as the string goes, B-50 is very streachy and that light of string could make it more difficult/dangerous to string, lessen cast, and increase hand shock.  If you aren't having any of those problems you may be fine. 

Again, nice work.

J. D. Duff

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2007, 01:05:32 pm »
Great looking Holmegaard. What wood is it made from?
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline samuraiwarrior

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2007, 04:20:11 pm »
JD, I'm wondering how it could make it difficult or dangerous to string the bow?  I haven't had any problems with handshock or anything, I'll probably make up some thicker strings for it when I finish the handle. 
The wood is red oak and a glued on maple handle. 
Koan, I think the design would work in ash.  Make sure you have a sound back that is one ring and smooth. 
Thanks for the comments you guys.  :)

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2007, 05:12:11 pm »
Very nice bow, that design is kind of tricky to execute.  Two places where you go from bending to nonbending.  Sounds like you got a good result as far as set.  Having the wokring limb short and closer to the handle, means a little set goes a long way.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2007, 02:42:43 am »
Nice Bow!    A handle wrap isn't an absolute necessity, but if you want one you might consider beaver tail rawhide.  It's kind of a pain to work with, but it is a dark color that should compliment this bow.  Plus the stuff is incredibly tuff once its dried. 
M-P
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers