Author Topic: Paint  (Read 10104 times)

Offline bootboy

• vinland longbows
Paint
« on: July 01, 2007, 10:23:37 pm »
Hey everyone. I'm out in British Columbia now for the last 4 months, land of yew and Tall cedars.
Ive made a medic friend of mine a little 40" pyramid bow from some vine maple I'm really pleased with it, But i would like to paint it. How do i make paint the primitive way?
I was thinking hide glue and charcoal for black paint. Any of suggestions are most welcome
knapp 'um if you got 'um

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Paint
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2007, 12:27:25 am »
Minerals pigments like red ocher, iron oxide, sulfur mixed with hide glue works well. You can buy mineral pigments from craft suppliers and art suppliers. Also, check our advertisers. ;)   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bootboy

• vinland longbows
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2007, 03:40:58 am »
thanks pat.
I've painted most of it with the charcoal and it looks really good. I had no idea how hard it was to make clear straight lines with these types of brushes, and paints. it looks rough but really authentic, i think that this gentleman will be pleased. Hes from a tribe of local natives called the sechelt nation. I havent found any examples of their bows, so i would assume that the closest would be the hyda, Who would come in and murder them and take slaves, like in the movie appocalypto. anyways thanks for the tip on paints haha
knapp 'um if you got 'um

Offline bootboy

• vinland longbows
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2007, 05:26:05 pm »
Ok the bow came out WICKED!
 Dude! for the red I used crushed paprika in hideglue. It worked very well, though next time i'll spend more time crushing it , into a finner powder. It even developes more of a reflex as the glue dried haha! good times with the stoneage !!!
knapp 'um if you got 'um

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2007, 05:50:57 pm »
That's cool. Crushed red brick will work for red also but it wouldn't be as bright as the paprika.  Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bootboy

• vinland longbows
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2007, 09:22:28 pm »
Well the paprika was really more of a deep red,brown. It looked more authentic then a store bought glowing red.
...very modoc  :P
knapp 'um if you got 'um

Offline Loki

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2007, 12:20:22 pm »
Any pics? sounds really good.
Durham,England

Offline bootboy

• vinland longbows
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2007, 05:07:33 pm »
I just bought a huge Nikon D80 SLR, for my trip to germany, so i did manage to take a bunch of photos of it, BUT i dont have a card port for the pc here. its not my house.
So I'll put them up as soon as i get them preped and stuff.
knapp 'um if you got 'um

makete

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2007, 11:58:20 am »
I just bought a huge Nikon D80 SLR, for my trip to germany, so i did manage to take a bunch of photos of it, BUT i dont have a card port for the pc here. its not my house.
So I'll put them up as soon as i get them preped and stuff.
  Still waiting!!!!!!!!! :'(

Offline bootboy

• vinland longbows
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2007, 01:12:13 am »
ok i here are the only photos of those bows that I could find

[attachment deleted by admin]
knapp 'um if you got 'um

Offline DanaM

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2007, 06:38:25 am »
Incredible artwork, sweeeeeeeeet ;D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline bootboy

• vinland longbows
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2007, 04:09:31 pm »
cheers mate! means alot that someone here likes it.
They both shot well and where quite heavy.
I think 46" ntn pulled 60lbs at 22"  And i think it was vine maple from british columbia.
knapp 'um if you got 'um

Offline billy

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2007, 11:50:20 am »
Hey Boot boy,

How funny, cause I actually am working on writing an article for Primitive Archer about how to make primitive paints.  I'm not done with it yet, but keep an eye out for it in upcoming issues!

Billy
Marietta, Georgia

Offline Norbert

• New at bow making. Just collecting information.
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2011, 05:34:40 pm »
ok i here are the only photos of those bows that I could find
Awesome looking bows. I am very impressed. They gave me goose bumps when i looked at the pictures. I have a lot of respect for you as a bow maker.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 05:46:59 pm by Norbert »