Author Topic: Need Tips on Bow Fishing?  (Read 2157 times)

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
Need Tips on Bow Fishing?
« on: August 31, 2011, 12:35:26 am »
I heard of a pool that contains several big carp in a local creek and made the drive and took the hike and found the pool and the carp.  I know to shoot low when shooting at fish, but my arrow seemed to ski sometimes.  I got about 8 or 10 shots in and turned a few carp back the otherway, but never did connect.  I'm shooting fiberglass arrows off the shelf of a 50# PSE recurve.  I shot several times while waiting on my ride, and shot pretty good out of the water, but always seemed to shot over even when really deciding to shoot low.  the fish were in about 3.5 feet of water and two or so feet under the surface.  Planning on going back early next week.  Any help would be awesome.  Wanting taunt lines next time.  Going out and shooting and being a part of nature is great, but I live in the woods, I like coming home after shooting w/ blood on my hands a lot more.  :P
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline iowabow

Re: Need Tips on Bow Fishing?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2011, 11:25:00 pm »
Take a 1/2 gal plastic milk jug and put a couple of rocks in it and fill with water.  Then tie a line on it and throw it in the water at 1 foot then 2 and then 3.  Shoot at the jug and figure out the offset. It is a simple solution. 
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline Mechslasher

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2011, 11:33:12 am »
aim about 6" low for every foot of water the fish is in.  that usually works with about a 45 degree angle.
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money." 

G. Gordon Liddy

Offline skyarrow

• Sterling Lynch Victoria, TX (361)935-1715 text me
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2011, 07:41:19 pm »
You'll have to try and error it they could've deeper then you think I made me a under water target out of a funnoodle some rope and a cinderblock and I'd just throw it out in the water and practice shooting at thenoodle under water it's about the same size as the small gar I shoot at around 16 inches long GL amigo the best training is to just keep shooting at them and you'll get it ttyl

Sterling
"We don't have mistakes here, we just have happy accidents" Bob Ross RIP 1995

Offline TRACY

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2011, 01:12:08 pm »
Practice, practice, and practice some more to get the mindset of shooting low due to refraction. You'll get it! Good advice here Derik.

Tracy

You'll probably develop another addiction, it's a lot of fun!
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline skyarrow

• Sterling Lynch Victoria, TX (361)935-1715 text me
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2011, 04:40:32 pm »
Well done amigo
"We don't have mistakes here, we just have happy accidents" Bob Ross RIP 1995

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2011, 12:04:38 am »
Thanks for the info guys.  Didn't go out today...wimped out cause of cool weather.  Hope to go on Friday.  I have to nearly swim to get to the hole, or walk thru head high neddles.  If luck is w/ me, I'll post pics.
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline iowabow

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2011, 11:35:26 am »
Good luck
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!