Author Topic: where to find good wood.  (Read 2708 times)

Offline Andy Levy

where to find good wood.
« on: September 01, 2011, 04:34:58 pm »
After becoming interested in bow making this year and making my first english laminated war bows working from a tutorial dvd. Ive been reeding the Traditional bowyers bible and am now itching to start my first solid yew bow.
 I tort i found a length of yew suitable for the job. nice and srait and about 9" diameter. but when i cleaved it in half found it to have a quarter twist up the length of the log. so am now back to square one on sourcing the right wood.
 Im basically a novice asking around for advice on where to buy and source quality wood for bow making. and if there's anyone one willing to help teach a young, willing, wanabe bowyer.
Any and all advice on the subject would be most appreciated.

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
Re: where to find good wood.
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2011, 04:47:42 pm »
the twist is no problem, for something like that,  you can make a steaming rig( to many different types to count) and once you take it out, put it in clamps, i know thats a very vague explanation so im sure somebody with more experience can elaborate. and if you don't want it, ill take it ;)
noel
Oyah, welcome to PA and what might be one of the most addicting pastimes ;D
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2011, 05:03:16 pm »
Welcome Andy. Like Noel said twist is not a problem. It is easily removed with heat. Some twist can be tolerated in a selfbow.
  Where are you located?  There might be other local woods you can get for free in your area.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2011, 08:10:34 pm »
Yew is pretty forgiving, just ignore the twist if you are making an ELB and you'll probably be ok.
There are plenty of us willing to help/teach but we don't know where you are!
Do we assume you are in the USA?
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline half eye

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2011, 08:49:51 pm »
Hey Andy,
      Welcome aboard.....hope yer ready for the angry wives and girlfriens, cause ya got a real bad addicition gonna come sneakin up on ya bud!!! >:D
      There are some of the worlds best stave bowyers on the site, and they'll help all that ask for, also. If it would help you I take a pic of my big (expensive.....not) steam rig and hope ya dont laugh too hard, eh? One other thing about the "twist" deal the fellas was right about wooden bows and twist.....ever watch a tree or brachs in the wind, twists like a big dog, even without no heat :D :D ;D
rich

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2011, 12:04:32 am »
I've hever heated yew to take out twist, but I have taken plenty of twist out of osage and hickory.  Several times I have taken out 120 degrees of twist out of staves.  You just can't get all that twist out of a short space, better to take it out in series of countertwists over several days. 

I'm sure some of the yew-heads will be able to help you with it.  Or you can ship it to me and I'll take it out.  Always wanted my very own yew bow!   >:D

Welcome to the Sawdust Sucker Society, it's worse than the Hotel California!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Andy Levy

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2011, 03:23:03 pm »
I live in Kendal, UK.
 I do want to now where i can source the wood strait from the tree to learn the whole proses. but if anyone knows of anyone selling billets ready to shape and tiller? as i dont fancy wating for the wood to dry before starting my first solid bow.
 Are most of you guys in the US?

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2011, 03:38:51 pm »
You need to talk to Del the cat.  His blog is http://bowyersdiary.blogspot.com/.  There's tons of yew examples there.  He's in the UK too.  I suspect he'll be along here in a bit to help you.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Andy Levy

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2011, 04:13:39 pm »
Brilliant pointer that George. loads of usefull and interesting info on there! chears.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2011, 04:17:16 pm »
Then there's also boards. Info on my site. Jawge
http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2011, 04:32:19 pm »
You need to talk to Del the cat.  His blog is http://bowyersdiary.blogspot.com/.  There's tons of yew examples there.  He's in the UK too.  I suspect he'll be along here in a bit to help you.

George
Cheers George, I've already posted! Asking where he is!
Kendal UK I gather.
Anyhow back to answering the question.
There must be all sorts of woodland up there. The killer is not wanting to wait for wood to season. Ah the impetuousness of youth!
Impatience is my biggest fault, but the answer is to get out and start looking.
Get hold of some Hazel, Hornbeam, Ash or anything to practice on, even if it isn't well seasoned. For every bit of wood you find, if you saw or split it in 2 you will have one half to learn on now and one half to leave for a year (even 6 months or less will do it if you work it down as it's seasoning).
A stave seasoning is worth 2 still in the tree.
Make it your business to locate evrey Yew tree withing a two mile radius. The more you look the luckier you will get.
With Autumn and Winter on the way, it's the time of year when parks, woods, golf courses etc will all start to think about thining and trimming trees. Phone up a few tree surgeons.
No pain, no gain.
(I'm currently making a Hornbeam bow on my blog)
Del
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 04:40:51 pm by Del the cat »
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2011, 08:46:13 pm »
Make it your business to locate evrey Yew tree withing a two mile radius. The more you look the luckier you will get.
With Autumn and Winter on the way, it's the time of year when parks, woods, golf courses etc will all start to think about thining and trimming trees. Phone up a few tree surgeons.
No pain, no gain.
Del

Del's points are pure gold!  You really do make your own luck in this world.  I have much more luck finding staves when I am out wandering around than I do sitting on the couch crying into my pillow watching yet another episode Real Housewives of Another Place You'd Never Catch Me.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.