Author Topic: "Wrapping up" another Osage build...  (Read 7930 times)

Offline Lee Slikkers

"Wrapping up" another Osage build...
« on: September 01, 2011, 05:18:14 pm »
Here are a few pics of my latest Osage / Cherry bark backing build.  She is 62" ntn, #54 @ 28".  I am hoping that the toasting of the belly & Cherry bark backing will give me a couple extra pounds.  The tips are working recurves with Buff horn tip overlays.  I also set back the handle 3 1/2" so I hope that will help me pick up a couple extra fps as well.

She needs to be sanded out from 320 on up, a dye job on the exposed Osage, some silk wraps at the bark/osage transition, 8 coats of Tru-oil and a handle wrap of Black Stingray should wrap her up nicely.

I figured I'd share these pics a touch early to show the nifty Equine Leg wrap I use to hold the bark backing in place as the glue dries.  This stuff is breathable, lets you stretch it very tight for good compression, comes off without sticking and only runs about $2 a roll.  This leg wrap comes in a ton of colors but this camo pattern is my favorite one out the bunch.  I think for a guy who likes all the Bells, Whistles and Gloss on his bow this camo wrap could be used to cover the back & belly of the bow while out in the thick stuff.

Enjoy~

~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: "Wrapping up" another Osage build...
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2011, 05:44:30 pm »
Very nice looking bow George. Don't you love the cherry bark. I'm taking (it already there) my cherry bark backed 60" osage static recurve to Colorado for our elk hunt.
  I believe you could pick up a few pounds with cherry bark. Pretty tough stuff!
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

hawkshaman

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2011, 05:50:22 pm »
I can't wait to see this one when it is done. Very nice.

John

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2011, 06:00:37 pm »
how do you get cherry bark of like that, we have a cherry we are taking down soon becasue its on our property line with a property we are selling, it would be nice to get some backing along with the bows i'm already planning form it ;D
noel
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2011, 06:29:43 pm »
Noel, that is choke cherry and not black cherry. Big difference!
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2011, 06:33:02 pm »
sweet looking bow there Lee. I got so caught up in looking t the cherry bark I almost missed the very nice tip work you did.(saw it on the second pass through. ;)). FInish her already and full draw is a must. I have some cherry bark I want to put on a bow just no time now. BTW I like the bark alot, the  color really stands out.
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2011, 07:47:15 pm »
darn :-\, at least i will get some nice staves out of it ;D
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2011, 08:02:38 pm »
Thanks for all the kind words folks!  I can't wait to get her finished up and shooting so no fear...there will be plenty of Finished pics plus the mandatory Full Shot  8)

Hey Pat, how much weight to you feel Cherry backing + a good toasting will give me?

~ Lee

"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline RyanY

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2011, 09:37:46 pm »
Awesome backing.  ;D

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2011, 09:42:52 pm »
Very nice looking bow.  That cherry bark looks super on a bow.  Something else I need to put on the todo list.

George
St Paul, TX

blackhawk

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2011, 09:49:27 pm »
That's gonna look gorgeous under tru oil buddy

Offline JonW

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2011, 10:10:46 pm »
Very nice Lee. Superb job on the backing.

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2011, 10:11:00 pm »
That looks like a sweet bow Lee! Is that the bark a very generious guy here on PA gave you? ;) Look forward to seeing it finished up!

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2011, 11:45:36 pm »
Nice Lee.  I friend of mine added a couple of pounds with cherry bark backing.  This was long ago, but it was a beautiful bow.  Can't wait to see the finished pics!

Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2011, 11:54:50 pm »
That looks like a sweet bow Lee! Is that the bark a very generious guy here on PA gave you? ;) Look forward to seeing it finished up!

Josh

No Josh, I think it was from THE most generous guy on PA   ;D ;D 8)  Many thanks again my friend, I hope I do the bark justice here as I wrap this one up.

Thank you everyone for all the kind words.  I know she live through to shoot cause I have shot her a couple hundred times already, it's just a matter of pulling the cosmetics how I like them.  Yup, a bit anal about that kind of stuff  >:D
~ Lee

— Aldo Leopold